Monday, June 13, 2011

BOOKS

I have always loved to read and wished there was more time to read all the books I have brought home from the library.  I can never read for longer than an hour because I need to move around and get busy planning and doing what needs to be done.  I usually read a serious book with a mystery or a good story.

I am reading Thomas Moore's book "Writing in the Sand" and am finding new ways to explore the mystery of the Gospels that include the richness of all the searching and studying he has done.  He has devoted his life to the study of theology, world religions, the history of art, world mythology and depth psychology.  He speaks of the words of Jesus as visions and I brlieve once I can get a vision about something it opens the door to new possibilities.  Jesus came to liberate us from our traditions and free us to have new visions of an abundant life.

"In relating to the Gospel;s, we should be as intelligent and open-minded as possible, receiving their message as a challenge to our lazy habits of thoughts,  a complexity offering a way to make sense of life and save us from neurosis and anxiety that make us aggressive and narcissistic.  A source of healing."

Religion that is viewed with apathy and distrust has never really been practiced as establishing as a call to wake up, to care for others, to be a healing force where you are and a calming presence. 
Certainly our emotions need to be stirred and controversy welcomed before we can learn the lessons of life.

I agree "it is a matter of being rather than believing"  The Buddhists would call this becoming empty not attached to and imprisoned by dogma and religioiousity. 

We have a very interesting group that met in our home last night that has grown through listening and learning from each other as well as the different books we have studied.  We ended up with lots of goodies as both dad and I went to the store to buy things.  At least we bought different goodies. 

I am tired today but I should be use to that.  Yesterday was a good day with lots of laughter and love!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you will have to be sure and have a nap so you are ready for tonights exciting game. Sandra