Wednesday, June 8, 2011

WASTING TIME.




Dad seems happiest when he has a project so I suggested he clear space in the garage for some of my garden fertilizer and other garden necessities.  He actually took to the idea and got busy and cleaned out the garage and found some paint in the paint cans he was going to return to the recycle depot but got painting instead.  He actually accomplished a lot while I decided to look through recipes for healthy meals and some muffin recipes.  I then had to go back to the store because you never have everything that you need.  I did not accomplish much and seemed to just be wasting time.

Words from the past.  Einstein wrote:

"A human being is part of the whole, called by us the universe, a part limited in time and space.

He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separate from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.  This delusion is a kind of prison for us
restricting us to our personal desires, and to affection for a few persons nearest to us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion
to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

"The most beautiful emotion we can experience is the mystical.  It is the sower of all true art and science.  He to whom this emotion is a stranger--is as good as dead."

"Human beings never achieve perfect knowledge, because anything we know at a given moment is invariably revised later."  British philosopher Bryan Maggee

Am I wasting time trying to read through this chapter on Atheism I don't really know.  Darwin would call himself an agnostic and his findings did challenge dogmatic faith,  forcing what some people saw as having to choose between the myths of religion and the truth of science.  Unbelief has become a variable and sustainable option.

Science is about facts and faith is that which may seem beyond belief.

I have faith that one day the real warm weather will come and stay.

I have faith that the Canucks can win the next game although the two bad losses do shake your faith. 
Will the best team win? 

I understand that atheistic critique of religion can in fact deepens one faith even as adversity's can make us stronger.

I believe in divine inspiration that has the power to create loving human beings who are totally imperfect ! !

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont know what is a bigger leap of faith, warm weather or the Canucks winning. I am trying to see the positive in the cool weather, the dogs like it better, no fan at night, but I do not like having cold toes from having the back door open in the morning.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

l love the last remark with paradox imbedded within it .From your totally imperfect friend . Jane.

Anonymous said...

Send dad over I have plenty to keep him happy !

Anonymous said...

Send dad over I have plenty to keep him happy !