Friday, August 22, 2008

CAMPING JOY

The day looks better today for Theresa and Kim and children to go camping. Ron and Donna are joining them but they will stay in a cabin. Gramma Sabrien and Auntie Debbie are coming to join them from Nelson. Hopefully Morgan will be able to sleep this time otherwise she gets terribly miserable.

Mary and Mike, or Michael John as we call him, will be returning anyday; with some exciting news if Mary said yes.

It seems that nearly all of our family likes camping. Larry and I do not. Years ago when Rick was about 3 and Carol was still a baby not even crawling. we decided to drive back to the prairies. We did everything wrong. We drove too long and by the time we wanted to stop all the camping places with wood and water had been taken.

We were desperately tired and cranky when we decided to stop in a field. It had started to rain and all our camping sleeping bags were wet. I think there was a little cloud just following along with us. Anyway, we climbed a fence into a field by the road. Rick thought it great fun to collect wood, what there was of it. Carol stayed on the blanket and was content.

We got a little fire going and Larry gathered the sleeping bags close by while we set up the tent.
All of a sudden we smelled smoke and one of the bags was burning. Larry quickly grabed it and slamed his hand on it to put out the flame. His hand not only burnt but the material stuck to his hand.

The rest of the adventure is a blurr I think we ate cold sandwiches and hundled together in the tent until early dawn. We were completely discourage so the next night gave away our camping supplies and stayed at a motel.

My dad could have taught us all we needed to know. He was a great camper and a scout leader. They took along no conviences like matches and made all their meals from scratch, no tins etc.
He even went winter camping with the older boys. The thought makes me shiver.

Larry and I would like to get away, and that is the joy of camping, getting away. You leave behind all the noise of the city to find a place of peace where you can gaze at the stars at night and experience seeing some wild life, even if it is only a bunny rabbit. You may not know this but Rick is an expert at taking pictures of bunny rabbits. There is another one on his face book with a picture of The Book Store and beautiful country side.

I just want to get today over with as I have my doctor's appointment. As soon as I sit down in the little room I am preparing for flight. I have had too many bad esperiences when I was not helped. My doctor is very through and I have had three scans and x-rays on my back but I expect they will not reveal anything.

I will get some free pills that he delights in giving me for the osteophorous and get a form for a mamiagram. Being at the cancer clinic has made me more aware of how important these check-ups are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the results Mum.
K

Anonymous said...

YEs,
I am thinking that Randy and I should do one of the trails next summer, they look very beautiful. Hope Mary and Mike did not get too too wet.

Anonymous said...

Well, this makes sense now. I don't remember the night of the burning sleeping bag, but I remember very well the sleeping bag with the burned corner. It lingered around for years in the basement in 55A street in Tsawassen. We used it now and then, despite the damaged corner. I always wondered as to how it got burned.

Rick