Saturday, August 30, 2008

SEEING THE INVISIBLE


We look at the amazing bright eyes of baby Matthew and wonder just what he sees as he gazes all around. All our great-grandchildren and grandchildren have such beautiful eyes. Our children too. Each one so different, some just full of mischief and others seem to be already deep thinkers.

Science is telling us so much more about our bodies and how they work.

I am now reading a book about the spiritual world of children. In some way children have the gift of imagination that brings many questions to their minds. Children have seen angels but often keep it secret. They have the gift of believing that there is more to this world than we can see. Flowers can hold faeries and rainbows pots of gold at the end. The clouds are an endless display of faces and forms if we only took the time to lie on the groud and gaze at the sky.

Life is a great and awesome mystery that we are often too busy to examine or ponder. Prayer and meditation has the gift of opening us to an awareness of a spiritual world of great beauty and light. Some of us find it hard to turn off our critical judgment for a moment to enter into the mysterious possibility of things unseen.

I remember as a child my grandparents, especially my grandmother's deaths. I did not really know them having seen my dad's mom when I was one and they came from England and my mom's mother lived with us for months at a time until I was about three.

I remember sitting there thinking about death. At first death seemed like a dark and lonely place and everyone was so sad to have lost their dear ones. But, as people talked about their loved ones I became more aware of how real they were and their presence had brought joy to their family. So I know longer saw the darkness but real people who would live on in our memories and in a place called heaven.

The poet W.B.Yeats called the moment of suspending disbelief as "radical innocence."

I have an African violet that was given to me when our little angel Madeline died a year ago. This plant has not bloomed until now and to me that is a sign of life and hope and mystery.

What a joy it is for us now to spend time with our family. They help us laugh and love and believe.

It is interesting when I visit the old folks at the nursing home they look upon me as being so young. They love to hear about my family and I always feel better after visiting because old dull eyes become open as they listen and my stories awaken their stories and we laugh together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a beautiful writer, grandma.

I think this a great venue for you to display your creative work that otherwise was left alone in mysterious journals and locked up in boxes that never saw day light or a new pair of eyes.

You are insightful, (obviously spiritual) and very creative.

A+ Great Job!

Theresa

Anonymous said...

Matthew - that's Kenny's new baby - right?

And Mary is engaged??

How is a fellow supposed to keep up with all this?

I hope going to the chiropractor has helped. I swear by them myself.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

Well Son, Just read my blog.