Friday, August 29, 2008

THE RECEPTIONIST WHO HEARD IT ALL

It was a busy morning at the Physiotherapy clinic. I signed in and Laurie, the receptionist gave me a form to fill out. She was taking a payment, answering the phone, talking to Kay as she walked by.

Larry quietly said to me "well phone me when you are finished" and left. I was amazed how this woman was able to multi-task, as the center of this busy office. I was even more surprise that when I was finished she handed me the phone and said "Did you want to phone Larry?"

I certainly was impressed. Evidently she also helps Kay at times along with all her other jobs.

My book on the brain stresses we do not multi-task well but there is always an exception. We read about terrorists that turn to violence because of religion. Recently Salim Mansur, a political scientist who travelled in the far east came to a different conclusion.

Muslim terrorists have shut their "interior disposition." For them belief is reduced to outward rituals of conformity, in pursuit of power over other men, rather than an awakening to the infinity inside of them. They were created to be filled with the image and goodness of God's love.Hence they do evil for they are insufficient in goodness, despite their insistence on calling upon God according to their faith tradition.

Many good people have been influenced to help others and live a life of compassion because of their faith. We like to blame our problems on something and religion has been an easy target.

"Be the change that you want to see in the world" Mohandas Gandi.

I believe that inspiration helps us to become involved and work for change. This is the massage that Senator Obama is giving to the American people. If he is elected I do hope he will keep his promises.

No comments: