Wednesday, February 22, 2012

POTENTIAL

I was worried that our neighborhood cat was going to follow Morgan and I are on our walk but it climbed a tree instead and then ran into the house that I think is his home.  \He did not have his collar on.

"Psychiatrist Anthony Stort, concludes  in his book "Solitude:A Return to Self:" some capacity to be alone is necessary if the brain is to function at its best and if the individual is to fulfill his or her greatest potent
Human beings can easily be alienated from their own deeper needs and feelings.

Learning, thinking,innovation and maintaining contact with one's own inner world are all facilitated by solitude.
From the book" Stillness",   Daily Gifts of Solitude by Richard Mahler.

The French 17th century scientist and philosopher Blaise Pascal took this idea a step further when he concluded that:  "all evil in the world" steamed from the inability of the average person to abide in silence".
I know that I feel better if I feel at peace with myself and have enough energy to enjoy life.

There are a lot of good things I would love to do but there are more and more things I am saying no to.
I believe that I have the ability to improve my general health and maybe slow the aging process by keeping
a balance in my life.


A foggy day yesterday on our trip into Vancouver.

To-night I think is the pancake supper at the church to begin the start of Lent.  As a child we always gave up something for lent.  I want to make more of an effort to read the gospels.  Mark may have been a secretary and translator for Peter.  I believe he wrote accurately all that Peter remembered.

I think it is interesting how Jesus was with the crowd around John the Baptist when he made the decision to step forward and be baptized.  John sees the wind of the Spirit blow upon Jesus and he knew within his own mind this was the one they had all been waiting for.  The spirit is pictured as a dove that flutters over Jesus and a voice speaks that this is my beloved son.

Immediately Jesus was driven into the wilderness to face his own demons.  Like all human beings we have two voices inside us; one wanting the approval and success that the world can give us or the other voice that asks for obedience and sacrifice to be a healing presence in the lives of others.  He would be going against the religious and political authorities to carry out his mission.

Mark treats Satan as a very real voice not a myth; a real force for evil.

Jesus has the potential to disturb many people today as he still speaks with authority and awakens our own potentialities to do what is right with kindness.

The Jesus he writes about becomes more than a historical figure, but a living reality.  He begins by telling us Jesus has entered into history as the one who understands human nature but also the one who understands God.

Each day gives me the opportunity to say "Here I am God"
 I want to be open to whatever this day has in store for me.

It was lighter when I went for a walk in the misty and damp rain.  Not so many people out.  When I got home and dad finished his paper we set off to get the gluten-free bread from New Westminster.  Dad will try this instead of my brown rice bread.  I meant to get some for Ken to try.

Can words create reality?

Why do the negative words stay with us when we quickly forget the positive?

Why do I speak without thinking?  Sometimes it is better to keep your opinions to yourself.  Right?

Do we all have inner voices that demand our attention and tempt us?

I have Jet Lag Bible study today and would like to take my own pancake mix to the pancake supper.
I will see how my energy is.  Now it is off with Gundy who has very strong opinions about a lot of things but a heart of gold!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you a day behind or am I? I thought pancakes was on Tuesday? How are the plans for a vacation coming? Sandra

Anonymous said...

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=542

"Q", as you likely know, is the only real source for what Jesus said. All the other stuff about human sacrifice, rising from the dead, and somehow this committing God to forgiving everyone (it is such a silly story, really, when you look at it straight on) came much later.


Love,

Rick

Rick

Anonymous said...

l am continually surprised at the amount of reading you do . l am planning to cut out alcohol and candy during lent and to do more pastoral visiting . l will need lots of support to do this . l have an idea for a new clown personality. to be named Grace and who would take around the library cart at a hospital. Hope to see you at the pancake supper. Jane.

Anonymous said...

Melina and I are giving up chips for lent,We had a great day at the Zoo yesterday.Matthew thought he could ride the animal ie: the Giraff and Zebra. The Apes are so amazing .
Ken