Thursday, August 2, 2012

OLYMPIANS

I am amazed  by so many of our young people.  They show a caring and generous spirit.

The people participating in the Olympics do such  feats of endurance and skill that it boggles your mind.
Just think of all the hard work and training they have gone through.  They are all winners just being there!

I wonder if being together and getting to know others from a different nation and culture will help bring understanding instead of  suspicion and prejudice and fear.  Can we dream about a new world where there is honest dialogue? 

We live in a world where there is much darkness and we need the light of compassion to help us find our way.  We are held captive by our deceptive egos that can so easily respond to flattery or criticism.
We feel sad when we want to feel happy; aware of our lack of inner resources.  Worry makes us feel that there are no answers and that we have no choices that will restore harmony and peace.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

The awful thing is that there is still so much inequality in the world, between the rich and the poor, the educated and the uneducated and between male and female ; especially in other countries.


Reading about Emily Carr and her struggles to be different; especially as a woman and an artist make me appreciate what a privilege we have as women today.  She was so different than her mother and her four sisters.  She saw beauty in the world of nature and wanted to capture it.  Her father disapproved of her ways.  She liked to travel alone so that she could paint unrestricted.
Sometimes when we feel like we have lost our way then we find something better.  Like dad does in the forest.

I went outside to read my book in the warm sunshine but kept noticing how overgrown the garden was and the lawn needed cutting again.  So I started working pulling and digging and cutting.
I got a sore back so I came into the kitchen.  It was so nice to see it all cleaned and spotless from dad's hard work   I felt so good later in the day when a lady walking by said how much she enjoyed my garden.

When I go through times of sadness and then a sense of happiness returns I appreciate it even more.
I think that I am a happy person and I know for me it has been spiritual wisdom that has helped me the most.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great you are getting compliments on the garden.

Emily Carr was an interesting person, that's for sure.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

I would think getting to meet others from different countries who have the same passion would build bridges. Though, I dont watch the Olypics at all. Sandra

beth bennett said...

Waiting for Oliver to drop by.

love mom

nancy-Lou said...

What a great quote from Jimmy Hendrix....I must remember that one!
From what I have seen of your garden through the pictures you post Beth, it is lovely..lots of texture and forms and colours. Do you like jigsaw puzzles? I found a site on line and love doing them. I even stay up late to finish them and if I can't sleep, I get up and work on one! I am going to the clinic to see a doctor about my broken big toe tomorrow, cringing at the thought of having my toe nail taken off...but it looks as though that is what they need to do. Wish me luck, I am a chicken!
Good for you Larry, cleaning up the kitchen. Love, Nancy

Anonymous said...

The Olmpics are great. I love to watch them.
Ken

Anonymous said...

The Olmpics are great. I love to watch them.
Ken

beth bennett said...

So does dad.

Nancy Lou sorry about your toe that must be painful. Pray all goes well and you recover quickly.

love mom