Saturday, August 25, 2012

SILENCE


The silence of the night was broken by the crash of our neighbor's metal garbage can.
Dad peered out the window to see the raccoon picking through the garbage.  On our morning walk we saw all the cans on the street had been knocked over, but not ours because it was not out on to the street.

As I pray and as I write I listen in the silence of the morning for guidance.  I like all humans have intellectual limitations and a sense of spiritual poverty that makes it difficult to express in words what I would like to.
This is why the spiritual is often expressed in metaphor and symbolic.  I talk to him and then I listen.  I believe that his love lives on among us all.

Some may define this as wishful thinking and sometimes when all I hear is silence I can experience doubt which is the shadow side of faith.  The joy of the faith of others helps me at these times.

Dad and I decided to drive out to give Theresa her card and birthday gift.  Dad wrote in her card while I was doing the Sept. cards to mail away.  I was having what I call a slow brain day losing things here and there.  Anyway we got to Theresa`s house and the card we thought must have been left at home as we did not have it.

This did not dampen the day at all.  We had a bit of lunch and then headed out to walk and ride bikes and skate boards to the school play ground.  Dad drove in the car because the walk would be painful.  On the way Morgan fell on her skate board and at the same time swallowed and choked on a cherry stone.  Her and Ben had gone ahead of Theresa and myself and fortunately by the time we caught up she had managed to cough it up.  She rode the rest of the way in the car with grandpa who also had a band aide for her skinned knee.

Morgan was the first up to bat as a game of baseball got under way.  She did well with a little help from big brother on how to hold the bat.  Dad was a good sport until his hip started to hurt and he also skinned his elbow as he dived for the ball.  Oh to be young again and to be able to do what we use to be able to do.  We had fun doing and then watching.

Before we knew it it was time to say good-bye.
We drove home silently enjoying the memories of our visit.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all! Sorry that I was too tied up with Kwantlen paperwork and had to miss the festivities.

Love,
Panteli

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the little film Dad made of us playing a family game of baseball at 8A park in Tsawwassen about 40 years ago.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a busy day.
Ken

Anonymous said...

I guess you had allready left by the time I called back. Randy and I were at Lowes. But as I have not really seen him in 3 weeks it was good to spend some time together before he had to go to work. Sandra