Tuesday, August 7, 2012

THE MIND


Dad and I have had a lot of stimulating conversations over the last weeks with all our company and with our family.  We have also been reliving some memories.

The subject came up about negative thoughts that can get a hold of us and be hard to shake.  We are all aware of thoughts speaking to us continually so of course want to be positive.  For instance I have been trying to think of what to write about on my blog and my mind is empty of anything worth writing about.

We have had a fantastic visit with Kim and the day at the park was very refreshing just to enjoy the coolness of the water park and the swimming pool.  Ben had a great time with his Auntie Sandy both swimming and diving for rocks like two fishes.

Today we were at Sandra and Randy's house for a barbecue and bean casserole and a great salad that Kim made.  We watched the women's soccer team and were disappointed at their loss but it was an exciting game.  Then some of the young ones played games like Crockett and bean bad.  Randy was a good sport and kept us all laughing whether we were watching or playing.  Of course we ate until we felt like we could burst.

While we talking I was thinking that we never really understand how another thinks or feels.

Also to never underestimate the power of the mind.

The problems we all face and the way we deal with them contain a potential for transforming grace.
The Bible reminds us to take our thoughts captive and not allow them to imprison us.  Our thoughts carry within them the power of emotions.  According to Buddhist thought the need to understand what is one's own well being and that of others.  One thought can lead to a chain re-action that can be either positive or negative.  Theresa talked about Mindfulness-based stress reduction which centers on the present moment.  The present becomes more important than the past. 

I was created to find happiness and joy but that does not prevent the awareness of sadness.

The word emotion covers any feeling that moves the mind and  conditions the brain to adopt a certain perspective on life.  Leaving Sandra's I felt a sadness in knowing that life is changing all around me and there will never be a day like the one we just had together.  There was sadness saying good-bye to Kim at the airport and it was felt by us all. 

We are all on a journey and like a tired traveller need to find rest and serenity our minds also need to find rest.  Life is so precious  and calming the mind of it's anxiety is important.  I do what I can do and take one day at a time. 

I was sorry to miss the program on Emily Carr maybe it will come on again.


















6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is one of the blessings of getting older, you apreciate each special day with family. Not even so much for the joy of the moment, but for the memories that it will build. I think that is why I push myself a little more then I should at times. Pain now, but get to bask in the memories for years and years. Sandra Oh. And everyone had little bits of wisdom that answered my question. I feel almost ashamed that at my age I am so silly, but oh well!

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth,

Speaking of family and visits, guess who is coming to Vancouver this Sunday for a couple of weeks?

Are you guys able to Skype sometime this evening?

I think we are about 2 hours ahead.

Panteli

larry bennett said...

We are out for supper so maybe if we skyped about 3:30

BETH

Anonymous said...

Sorry we missed you. We were at the airport picking up Kim who got here OK--no hurricances!

Maybe try you tomorrow around supper time.

Panteli

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the Emily Carr show will be on again. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Love,

Rick

nancy-Lou said...

I think you could get the Emily Carr film at the library. It likely is a national film board film and they carry most of those at the library. I think I saw it years ago and enjoyed it very much. I admire her strength of character, to be herself and not be influenced by what others thought about her. She was a wonderful painter and saw things in ways others couldn't see.Love all those rich greens and dark blues.

In regards to today's subject....remember the old adage, " you are what you think?" I think it is very true...so positive thoughts are powerful and of course negative thoughts are powerful too and we don't want to go there. Love Nancy