Friday, August 31, 2012

NAME

Yes it did dad good. although he did have some pain and was glad to get home.
I got a lot done in the house and yard but still a lot more needs attention.
I worked very hard.

Before I left I had decided to write about names and how important names can be.
 Even the police say stop in the name of the law!
 In the ancient Near East. a persons name was intimately linked to his or her identity. When a person had a life change their name was changed. 
The name of Jesus was Yeshua and it meant the salvation of God.

So I was thinking about this when I was working around home and left to go visiting.
 
Usually when I visit at the Seniors Home people are in their rooms.  I glance at the name on the door and knock and wait for a reply. All was going well until I met Helen in the hall and I mistook her for Fran.    Even worse I didn't believe it when she said she was Helen.  Both of them have little dogs and reddish hair and look old.  I felt so awful and confused getting her name wrong. Time to go home!

I also spilled Jim's milkshake in the car so the day had not gone well.  It was all there but missing the whipped cream. The line up at the Dairy Queen had been a mile long just when I am already running late.
Today is not starting out so great as I am tired.

In ancient Egyptian and in Biblical times an object did not exist without a name.

In the myth of creation God calls each piece of the Universe into existence and named it; day and night,heaven and earth, sea and sky.  By doing so he was exerting his sovereignty, because the one who names another has authority.

In the ancient days a persons name was linked to their role in life, their identity and reputation.

"Because names were so significant, a common pagan practice was to try to manipulate the spiritual world by using divine names in incantations."  There is power when his name is used in love and for good I think.  Read Acts 19 if you wish.

The thing is we do not often hear about the good things people do.  There is a Christian doctor named Jonathan Miles who with his team bring Palestinian and Iraqi children to a hospital in Israel to treat them.  "They are risking their lives, in the name of Christ, to serve others.   -Lois Tverberg

Yes, God is mysterious, uncontrollable, fascinating, enigmatic, vigorous, surprising, amazing and uncontainable!  And that goes for Jesus too, who I still continue to believe is right and real and from God sent with a message that takes some effort to decode but can change how I live daily.

4 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

Another thing we have in common....spilling things in the car! A wasp flew in the window and made a bee-line for my chicken salad...well you never saw anyone move so quickly...the salad flew in the air all over the floor and the dog...and I was out of the car in a flash! In regards to names...the name Jesus is interesting. I wonder what the history of that name is? Were there any others named Jesus before "our Jesus " was born? Does it have a meaning as most other names do? Thanks for another interesting blog Beth. I am setting up the show today for our 19th Northern Lights Craft Sale tomorrow. 25 vendors are coming. Love, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Oh well, Helen probably enjoyed the attention.

Love,

Rick

beth bennett said...

Yes Rick I have to laugh about it!
Thanks.

Thw name Jesus was a common name and still is in other countries.
It means God's salvation.

love mom

Anonymous said...

" and they both look old" that's funny , your in an old folks home.
Ken