Saturday, November 17, 2012

AGING

Keeping in touch with family and friends means even more as we get older.

Loving them is my greatest joy.

Everything started to change when I turned 50, then 60. then 70. Along with the wrinkles, the weak eye sight, the poor memory, the loss of hearing and the softening of my muscles I had to except my limitations. Years ago I may have rushed around trying to look after children and a husband and do volunteer work through the church and I did cope with it all. Now just looking after dad and myself is a challenge. I am now and always will be thankful that I am a woman created to be loved and to love. I cherish many special memories in my heart.

There are things I cannot do any more but I can praise others who are
able to do them.  We have a gift with in us that has been hidden for
years but now comes into the light.  The gift to share life is a rich and
vital gift, no matter how small it may seem to us.  I want to share with my
my family and friends my hopes and dreams.  I am learning to be
content which is a hard thing even as being patience is difficult.

Right now I am being patient with my painful ribs but finding the healing patch helpful and I am sure prayers too.  Dad is having problems with a stiff neck that has been bothering him for quite awhile.

Life had just happened as I was immediately busy looking after my children.  I always wanted
to help my children when they had children as I was on my own and
I knew how tired one can get caring for children and later in life caring for my parents.  Now
I am free of those demands, and now I can write freely of what interests me. 

I appreciate the encouragement and acceptance of others, but I do not want to need approval.

"Knowing others is wisdom
Knowing oneself is enlightenment."

One of the amazing things that faith has taught me is what it means to be truly human.  I think that is one of the main things that Jesus was teaching us.  It means taking a step away from the false self and stepping into our true selves.  Every stage of life means taking new steps into the self that is always with us.  Being free of discomfort.

Life will always be a struggle but one blessing of being older is that I somehow in some mysterious way  I feel closer to where I am going.
I enjoy the little things, like a phone call. a note on my blog, a visit, reading or writing, taking silly pictures, a good laugh with dad or a friend.

"Openness of heart and abandonment of soul are portals to the future."
--Joan Chittister

We all have an authentic call upon our lives and allowing the call to be the one from within takes courage.

The day ended with going out for for fine dining with Stephan, Randy and Sandra.  Good Food and a good Time.  Fun to get dressed up.  Football after church!

Stephen was such a gentleman making sure I had everything and walking out with me.  It would have been nice to talk to Shawna on the phone but it was far to noisy but nice to know she was with us in thought.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, a good thing that the football is coming after church!

Love,

Rick

Shandel said...

Hi Gramma
Love your posts today. Such special words written about your passions. Love, family, and friends. among many.

Do you know who wrote that quote? about knowing others is wisdom and knowing yourself is enlightenment? i do love it and would like to share, but i also enjoy giving credit where its due!

today its a gloomy day in Stony Plain, the sun has not tried to come out yet, but thankfully its not too cold. I heard we are in for a deep freeze this next week coming....November is sure flying by, before we know it, it will be Christmas.

Have a happy Sunday, enjoy Foot ball

xo

beth bennett said...

Sorry I should have given credit to Lao Yzu who I quoted,
Thanks Shandel. love beth

nancy-Lou said...

Another gorgeous pic Beth....soft reds played against the greens and the greys behind are actually a mix of the reds and greens. A wonderful Christmas gift for each member of your family would be a 2013 calendar made with your pics. Maybe with each birthday marked on the calendar. Staples can make them and at a reasonable price. Loved the quote from Lao Yzu Love Nancy

Anonymous said...

It's nice Stephen went with you on your walk.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

Fine dinning ? The Keg?
Ken

Shandel said...

thank you!