Tuesday, November 27, 2012

ONCE UPON A TIME. . . . . .

We are all feeling a huge sadness for Nancy-Lou and her family at the death of her daughter-in-law, Melodie.We send our love and prayers to all the family.

We all have stories to tell and no one knows the future so we try to do our best to live each day with love in our hearts. 

The neighborhood is coming alive with lights and decorations. It helps to brighten up the darkness and dreariness of this time of year. Children love to hear the same old stories about the red nose reindeer and Frosty and the Grinch that stole Christmas. I was in Chapters looking for a book about the baby Jesus and they are very hard to find. While I was in the children's section this little girl was finding all sorts of things she would like and kept running to tell her mom. I was thinking Sandra should have been there.

Stories have always been important from the beginning of time when cavemen drew pictures on the wall. Meaningful religious experiences were shared through story and discernment was used to see which ones would nurture the tribe and be retold and retold. In the 17th century Jonathan Edwards, a philosopher and pastor tried to discern true religious affection from delusion. He condemned both intellectualism and emotionalism but remaining firm in his belief that human emotions are very much a part of our stories.

 Edwards insisted that true religious experience emanated from a divine source that opened up the heart to see the goodness in others and the beauty and love of life. We share our lives by our stories, which dad is very good at doing. I was thinking back when we were first married and my communications with my parents was mostly by mail. I know they were very worried about me and waiting for letters must have been hard.

 Our first Christmas away from home was sad for us all but we were fortunate to spend it with Madie and Stan Dunlop. The next year I set off by train with 5 month old Rick to visit our parents in Saskatoon and Regina. Dad had this strange notion he could hitch a ride with a airplane. We did not have much money. He was not successful.  The train ride was pretty stressful with a young baby but everyone was so happy to see us. We also visited old friends in Saskatoon.

Our stories will always live on after we have gone.

Imagine stepping onto a shore and finding it heaven.

Imagine taking hold of a hand and finding it God's hand

Imagine breathing new air and finding it celestial air

Imagine feeling invigorated and free of pain and finding immortality

Imagine passing through a storm into an unknown calm

Imagine waking and finding it home.

Imagine.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

It is good to use imagination for postive wonderful impossible things. My inspirational message on my wall at work right now is "Think of your self as on the threshold of unparalleded success. A whole, clear glorious life lies before you" Andrew Carnigie. I am working on smiling on the inside so that it works its way to my brain which more often then not is not smiling. Sandra

larry bennett said...

Yes i remember it well - a B25 arrived from Saskatoon - I asked the pilot if i could hitch a ride back with him - he said it was against all the rules, but if I just happened to be in the tailgunners seat when they got in the plane Sunday morning at 7AM he probably wouldnt see me.

So three days later (the day after you left on train) at 5AM, minus 5C I climbed the barbed wire fence and dashed across the tarmack - slid under the plane and up through the lower hatch - stumbled along in the dark to the rear gunners seat and sat down to wait and freeze. Finally around 7AM I heard some voices - not too soon - I figured I was almost frozen - joy - soon it would be warm etc. A bright light shines through the plexi - glass - I cant see - but two loud voices are yelling - two large mp kind of people are soon dragging me out of plane (with all kinds of threatening language - including the word dead). I was to cold to talk - but just then the Captain I spoke to came up and explained the story. They wouldnt let me back on the plane - but on the bright side they didnt shoot me - and they let me walk out the side gate - just another little adventure.

nancy-Lou said...

Larry.....sometimes I don't know if I should believe your stories or not!
For one man, you sure have had more than your share of adventures.....and this one is quite the story. PS I really do believe you
Come'on Larry's children....are these stories really true? LOL