Wednesday, December 13, 2017

TRAVELLERS

This time of year I often travel back into  past memories.
Each Christmas has been different and special.
The year dad and I were alone together I went to visit Gundy who also was alone and a friendship developed.  She too felt estranged from her daughter and son.  Too bad.

Today we went to clean up Dad's grandmothers grave.

He and his grandmother had a special love for each other.
She moved out to the Coast when he was a youth and lived in a small room at English Bay. When we came here we would visit her occasionally.  Dad would drive down after work and take her out for supper every once in awhile.  We would bring her out for Christmas Day.  The sad part was that she was estranged from her son and daughter in-law who lived in Saskatoon.  

Sometimes when you have been hurt by life, loosing two sons to the war and her husband died young about 60, you can be critical and unable to express the love in your heart.

She lived with us when the children were very small but she needed too much care for me. I remember the times we had tea together and she spoke of her sister and her travelling here from England.

Later dad and his best friend Garth Manary built a rest home where she spent her final days.
There was a tiny ray of sunshine left in the day.
It is cold and windy and it is a time to pause and remember her love for us.



A good day spent first with Aime and Kim and Haiti.  Kim is so loving as she sets the table and prepares lunch for us all.  Haiti seems to know she is really the center of attention.  She will be coming to stay with us on Dec. 19 when Kim leaves for the Caymans.

Christmas is a good time to express our love for each other!

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Will Hamlet be joining them all at Cayman?

It is so nice to have sunshine in winter. Makes the cold pretty so you dont mind it as much.

8 more days. I always think I will stay up late when everyone is here so I can get the most out of the visit, but if it is anything like last time my head will be hitting the pillow right after the kids.

Sandra

Steady-as-rain said...

Very nice to see Granny's grave being kept up.

Love,

Rick

nancy-Lou said...

So often the graves of our family who are long gone are left in a tangle of weeds and grasses.
It is so nice to see that you and Larry take care of his Grandmother's grave. As I am sure she cared for him over the years.

I really enjoyed reading the story about her life and how she lived with you for a few years too. It must have been difficult for you Beth, when yo had an elderly lady to care for as well as four young children. I am glad that she got into a nice care home for her final years.

All these exciting plans for Christmas....Kim leaving to be with her family in the Caymens...Sandra counting down the days until she sees her Grandchildren and their parents....ahhh the anticipation is almost as much fun as the actual happenings...well maybe not quite! But fun.

I had a busy day filling out my application and writing a short and long bio for the Boreal shores tour which will be happening next august. it is a two day evening and covers quite a wide area...i would say if one toured all the studios on the map it would be 150 kms. I will be showing my paintings across the street at my neighbour's home...which is the old train station at VB. it is huge and they have done some amazing renovations to it. Laura, who owns the house, does stained glass and jewellery. It is a two day show on a weekend. There is a brochure with maps and short bios, and flags to display to mark the various places. Quite a professional tour.

also finished a painting and will deliver it tomorrow when we are in the city for Carl's infusion. Mark will be driving us and he and I will have about 6 hours to kill while waiting for Carl. We have lots of plans of things to do. We get along so well. We are lucky he is in between jobs. he is a journeyman carpenter.

Well have to get my clothes etc organized for the morning..up at 7 and leave at 8. Hope the highways are good. There was freezing rain last night and the car was coated in ice. I cleaned it off and it is ready to go.

How fortunate you are to have Kim to make you lunch...she is such a good person!

Have a good evening,

Love, Nancy

nancy-Lou said...

PS I have been working on stories of the history of the area and came across the writings of a Cour de Bois who camped here in 1789...amazing to actually read it now.

He described the area and the beauty of it and the portage and big Elk Island, which was called, Isle de Biche. They had a hundred boats with sails and camped on a beach here...I am going to do a painting of it..

He actually remarked that it looked like a painting when viewing from the high cliff and I know exactly where that is on Elk Island.
There are no homes or cottages there...just wilderness. It is a provincial park...but has no amenities and I sure hope it remains that way. it is only a half mile from Victoria Beach.

I thought you would like to hear about this! I have the painting done in my head already....that is who it always is!

beth bennett said...

So Nancy you have been traveling back to the past too.
A great story and the painting will I am sure bring it to life.
Prayers for a safe trip to-morrow.
Dad's grandmother only lived with us for a few months
as the doctor advised dad it was too much for me.

No Hamlet will be at home working extra shifts
taking care of sick people.