Friday, November 5, 2010

LONGINGS

                Spending time with children brings back memories of some of my childhood longings.

As a child I longed for a dog with all my heart and soul. I pleaded and begged my parents; but my dad definitely not a dog person was adamant in saying no.  Of course I on the other hand had no idea how much trouble a dog could be.  They chew everything but there bones they are suppose to, they want to be fed from the table where you eat, they want to sleep with you and if given freedom they will run off.

I read every dog book in the library and I would visit the neighborhood dogs regularly and I even dreamed about dogs.  This is why when we were first married I fell in love with the puppy I saw in the store window of the pet store.  I had a lot to learn about caring for a dog as I knew nothing about training him in any way.
I was upset because the first few nights it whined and cried and kept us awake.

Now I am back content to pet the neighbors dogs and put out little bones for them.  I realize the energy and time that is needed to care for an animal.  We have had many dogs as our children grew up and although children promise to care for them it was often left to me.  I have been on many walks with our four-legged friends.  I would agree with the lady we met at the hospital waiting room, who talked all about her dog, they are great companions and so loyal and they love you unconditionally.  They are completely happy when they are chasing a ball or sleeping at your feet.  They seem to read our minds and sense when we are not feeling well.  They trust us to feed them and care for them.

For me I often find myself questioning life and searching for meaning and significance.  These have to be cultivated daily.  Trust is an important ingredient in any relationship.   Daily we trust our lives to others and I am thankful for the trust I feel in a spiritual reality. I have tried to be trustworthy but have failed at times.  I am trusting in the Love that under girds my life.  I think we have mistakenly longed for perfection and happiness in earthly love and human relationships and we have been disappointed.   Our imperfections have been disappointing to us at times and yet we are continually learning what is important in life.  I have always been blind to the fact that Christians can fail us just as much as anyone else but now I see my mistake.

We all long for certain things that we feel will complete us and I believe that this is a spiritual gift that stirs up hope in our hearts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me, I just long for enough sleep, I am pretty sure that would make me complete. But then again, it is me who lets the cats sleep with us, so how much do I really want the sleep? Sorry I could not make it yesterday, it would have been nice to see Ollie.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Sleep is good too.

love mom