Wednesday, May 18, 2011

HELPLESS

Sometimes I feel helpless and overwhelmed by my own thoughts and all the suffering of those near to me and also all the suffering of worldly disasters.  I believe that one deals with their own pain by trying to reach out to help others.  There will always be inner self-questioning especially about why some seem to have to deal with so much tragedy in their lives.

Our culture has fallen under the influence of science and technology but are in danger of losing the true meaninging of life that only the soul can discover.  A person with no soul shuts there eyes to the suffering in the world and lives only for self-gratification and become users and abusers. 

There will always be questions that cannot be answered but if we use the intellect as well as the heart and are genuine about our feelings we realize how truly human and vulnerable we all can be.

I can read the sacred scriptures in search of a holy God, goodness mercy and compassion, and I can find that it raises doubts, criticism, envy, anger and frustration until I look beyond the surface to discover of both  love and hate, vengeance and death, sex and sacrifice that seem to be so full of contradictions, I discover others who have struggled with God and made wrong choices and yet His love has always been there with them.  The biblical characters are so human and of course they see God as they believe Him to be.

Words written by human beings trying to tell a story from which we can learn, seeing our own imperfections and weakness, and trying to do a little better each day.

Until we discover the true meaning of love and compassion how can we discover a God who loves and listens and understands.  Even the great philosophers cannot answer our questions or ease our feelings of helplessness.

Like the prophet Micah said we are called   "to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with Thy God."  This calls for an inward and an outward response that calls us to be the best that we can be and treat others, especially those who disagree with us, with gentle respect and kindness.

A covenant is a invitation to reach up to God who in turn is reaching down to us.
A covenant is a blessing but also a call to be responsible.

Faith is a response to the giving of the gift of pure grace and trusting that prayer has the power to unite us and together change a world that is full of despair and helplessness.

I know that I am like the man who cried out to Jesus saying "Help" help me believe.  And Jesus did! !

This is from Mark 9 :24  when the man whose son was having convulsions said to Jesus
"I do believe, help my unbelief:.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lot of questions and not a lot of answers. Sandra

Anonymous said...

So, very interesting mother.

Now, what is the exact location of the text where Jesus helps the doubting chap believe. I don't seem to recall that myself, but I do have a selective memory.

One would have thought that Jesus would rather have said, "Do the flowers call out to the sun to give them faith they will go? Isn't the light enough? God is there like the sun - before such a tremendous force, what a short step belief must be! But it is your step alone - no one can take it for you. Would a flower be so beautiful if couldn't grow?"

You get the idea. Jesus (and his rewrite team) would have said it better.

Love,

Rick

beth bennett said...

This quote is from Mark 9:24 and I have now added it.

I wrote in a hurry as tgis is the morning I walk with my neighbor Gunty.

My whole point has been that yes the sun shines upon us all and yes the path of faith is an individual one. Yes, the step is ours to take.

Growth is very inportant in all our lives and for a flower to be beautiful it has opened to the sun and blooms.

love mom