Friday, May 20, 2011

UPSETTING

Once again I left my wallet at the store counter and only discovered it when I was getting ready to go visiting.  Very, very upsetting for both dad and myself and shakes my confidence in myself.  I know forgetfulness can happen at any age but as you get older it brings other worries to mind.  It did give me something to talk about when I went visiting and I heard stories from others with similar experiences that did not turn out as good as mine in that I was able to go and get mine back!

It had been an exciting (for me) morning helping my neighbor's mom walk her daughter's two dogs.  I found it a handful when the dog would either want to stop and sniff of pull me faster.  We had a good visit and a few laughs on our way.

Sometimes I wish our church was a little less cerebral and old fashioned as I think about the younger people who may want something more lively.  I appreciate the warmth of the friendships and the richness of the theological reflection and the time and effort put into things like prayer and reaching out to our community.

Christianity is a connection of the mind and the heart and the hands that care for others; questions are encouraged, where my moments of doubt are a part of my faith, where I can explore a variety of answers and still in all of this experience the presence of Goodness!

I am thankful for my Sunday morning worship time where I focus on what it means to be a Christian in a world where upsetting things (much bigger than mine can happen) can happen.  Never take for granted the good things that give our lives meaning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should look at other options, wallets on chains like Christopher has. Or is that keys? And not have a lot of cash or your idi in your running to safeway wallet. Maybe even a pocket with $20 would be best?
Sandra

Anonymous said...

OK, so now Christopher is a role model for grandma...MAybe Christopher was right on his Facebook post lastnight, and the world is coming to an end tomorrow! :)

Panteli

beth bennett said...

I think I just have to smarten up and think about what I am doing and not care if some one is waiting in line.
I think I can learn from Chris too
But the world is not coming to an end to-morrow the Canucks have not won the Stanley cup yet.love mom

Anonymous said...

yeah just take cash mom or your credit card. But we all forget sometimes,dont worry.
Ken

nancy-Lou said...

I agree, our minister has privately told me that she would like a coffee house setting where we can all share in worship. We have a study group who meet before the service, where we discuss the faith page of our newspaper. It is often more fulfilling than the formal church service. Our last service was held by a retired minister who used the " old book of common prayer " and it was surprising to see how outdated it was.