Saturday, May 21, 2011

A NEAR MISS

We were so glad we had changed our plans to attend Gracelyn's 17 birthday party.  Just a small family group with two of her sisters away.  We have been a part of Grace's life since her mother brought her home from the hospital.  Kathy was separating from her husband so she really needed some help with five active and very bright girls to bring up. 

Sandra our daughter had moved to Edmonton and Carol and Ron were having stressful problems which I did not know about but could feel something was wrong.  I missed looking after their children as they were now in school so there was an emptiness in my life.

The birthday party was great fun with dad telling his great stories and getting some teasing. 

This is Tavia.  She has just had her hair cut and Gracelyn decided to style it for her.  Their favorite Auntie Cathy came along with Grama Erma.  Dad had a big piece of chocolate cake and then another one for me.

The near miss came when we were driving home and a car ran a red light.  Fortunately dad stepped on the gas as the car whizzed right behind us.  A very near miss.  June 20 could very well have been our last day here.  I came home and climbed right into bed still shaken up by our close call.

Today I am at an all day seminar to learn more about celiac.  The more I am extremely careful the more I re-act to any little nasty gluten that creeps in unexpected.  Very strange.  I also think that I am re-acting to stress more so am trying to take life slow and easy and put all my worries in a box called forgetfulness.

I have been trying to read about the early stages of Christianity and I am amazed that this faith has survived through many ugly distortions and false beliefs.  I think that I would have wanted to be a "good" person even with out the influence of the teachings of Jesus and the influence of the lives that have touched mine that have been influenced by Christian beliefs.

I see God as a source of miracles and the creator of all that is good and beautiful.  I have not resolved the evil part. 

This morning I am glad to be alive and glad that dad is too! ! !

Rainy quiet walk by myself listening to the birds and enjoying all the colorful trees and shrubs!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys had a good time and glad that Grandpa still has his hockey and baseball reflexes to step on the gas! I went to Ben's lacrosse game afterall, and it was a good time as well.
Panteli

beth bennett said...

Good for you Panteli. I really miss seeing those little guys.
Love beth

Anonymous said...

Sounds as if you had a fun party and so glad it was a Miss and not a Hit on your way home. l appreciate your dedication to religious study and lap up the gleanings. Love Jane.