Tuesday, October 4, 2011

DIRECTION

All day yesterday I wanted to go in the wrong direction at every turn.

  Very strange when you feel you really want to go another way.

Dad and I drove into New Westminster, which reminds us of Saskatoon where we grew up.  We went to the bakery to but gluten-free bread and then across the street to the mall.  It is a nice size and we like to wander through it.  It has a store that captivates our attention because of all the beautiful ornaments and pictures.  I should have taken some pictures.  The last picture we bought was of a winter scene with boys walking to the ice rink.  If we where to buy a picture I would love to have something very colorful.  I do love the fall colors which our this blaze of color to prepare us for the drab and cold winter ahead.

I have often felt the church is going in a wrong direction and it makes me feel very uncomfortable.  We have tried different churches and I have found something good in them all.  We have met the greatest people who believe all sorts of different things.

We have a new minister now and I am not sure just what he believes but he is open to hearing what we believe.  He had a visit to our home and your dad let him know exactly what he does and does not believe.  Dad had also sent him his blog on the Old Testament. 

Our minister has a good sense of humor and is available to come and talk and help you through tough times.  He visits all the sick people and there are very many in our church full of older people.  I find the liturgy that I read to be meaningful and I am not a great one for repeated words written by others. without thinking about them.

I believe in miracles and I believe in a creating God who has the power to transform me so that the real me is free to discover the path to His open heart of love.  Love that lets me discover I am going the wrong direction need to be corrected.  Sin is not a popular word but when we see it as missing the mark it is helpful. Ever thought you had made a wrong choice, had said a hurtful word you would like to take back, had forgotten to do something you should or could have done.  What about those negative thoughts that can creep into our minds with no invitation?

The death of Jesus was to help us die to selfishness, greed and evil.
I believe in the Resurrection and there was something that shook the whole earth at that time.  It was an experience of great fear and greater loss as the world without Jesus became dark.  His followers who had proven to be great cowards had life-changing experiences that occurred after this dramatic event.

This world is a painful place and prayer is the only way I can hope to find healing and the direction for my life.  There are things that are not visible to the naked eye not explainable to the logical brain.

Yes, I like to observe holidays that have spiritual meaning that bring holiness a little closer into reality.  Thanks giving is a time to enjoy family and good food with thankful hearts.

Today there is more work to be done in the garden and I really must get my hair cut and load up a basket at the grocery store.  It is good to write down my thoughts first and I really love comments! ! !

6 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

When do you feel the closest to God Beth? I find Him in nature...today with the glorious fall colours fluttering to the ground and the freshness of the wind makes me think of His many gifts to us. I would like to read your husband's blog about the Old Testament. It is often overlooked with the excitement of the New Testament.....and would like to learn more! Would you send me the blog address please? Thank-you,
Nancy

beth bennett said...

Being in nature has the potential to make us aware of His presence I find that too.

Sometimes it is when I feel so helpless and lost and need to be aware that He is with me even then.

I appreciat.te your questions and comments that make me think and ponder what is truth.

Larry's blog on the Old Testament is very negative and although the scriptures he chooses are all in the Bible I disagree with his conculsions. The world is not all black or white but when you want a God that is vengeful and hates those you hate then that is what you create.
But there are some loving passages in the Old that shows that God was a loving God for those willing to experience power as a source not to conquer but to forgive and to heal.

love beth

Anonymous said...

Oh, I will have to hear all about the new minister on SATURDAY, dont forget now. I wonder if he is saddened because people he is meeting for the first time are just putting him in the box of "minister" rather then the whole person of Jim, or Bob who happens to be a minister. I just wonder. Sandra

Shandel said...

Beth ! i think you should take some of the photos you have taken of the beauty of fall and have them blown up and framed! then you can remember what it was like the day you took the photo and always have that memory. you have some very pretty photos. they would look lovely on a wall <3

larry bennett said...

Well dear - i have been going to church with you - various churches - for about 37 years - have very seldom missed. like you and Nancy-Lou I love the free feelng of god in nature, and at times in the form of some unselfish act of love. As you know I support your interpretation of the bible - it is yours. I have tried to have an open mind about the bible etc but in the end I have great trouble - very great trouble with the old testament.
So nancy-Lou here is my blog - just my opinion - its the only one I have.
http://myprostateandme.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Yes, I noticed that mom did not pass on the blog, maybe she is worried you will sway some one to the dark side dad. Sandra