Saturday, October 29, 2011

STILL

Be still and know that I am God.  The author of all life allows us to write our own stories and yet in the stillness I hear a voice of love and compassion that guides me in green pasteurs and in dark valleys when light grows dim and the body weary.


Be still my thoughts I say this morning when I wake up at 4 again this morning.  I picture them as crashing into one another as I decide I need to sleep a little longer.  A strange, for me, place to be in not really awake nor sleeping.

I believe it will be raining when I do get up now that our delayed summer seems to be coming to an end.  The rain yesterday was a real downpour and it felt cold, chilling me to the bone. 

It was good to get into the car in the garage and not have to get soaking wet in walking out to the street.  The car did quit as we turned the corner which is a scary feeling and we almost came home again.  Everything just stops working and you lose control.  That's when a little prayer just "help" comes to mind.  Knowing where your help comes from is a source of amazing strength and comfort.

Dad and I arrived home from the hospital visit to hear Ken's voice on the answering machine.  We were looking forward to a visit with him and the children on skype.  There are times when I am aware of how much I miss my children and hearing their voices is a great blessing.  Keeping in touch in simple ways is important to me.

As parents there is an emotional tie but this too needs to be stilled in the awareness that their lives are their own and I need to cultivate my own interests and relationships.  All these are natural feelings that flow through each one of our lives.

The talk about Haiti was very inspiring as we heard of people in a community reaching out to help children in desperate need for food and shelter and love.   We transcend our own limitations by supporting this mission. 

We live in a world that can zoom in on problems close at home or far away. 

We are faced with our own limitations but in the stillness and awareness that we exist within God's love we find that God works through each one of us.  This is not the demand of a harsh controlling presence and like one Jewish writer says "Serving God is like a dance where the song is calling us to become more loving and kind as we serve one another."

"Our relationship to God is translated into human behavior". -- Rabbi David Aaron.

We all need to be loved and to love.

4 comments:

Shandel said...

Your blog today reminded me of a quote i heard during teacher training in yoga last year, i thought i would share:

BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD
BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM
BE STILL AND KNOW
BE STILL
BE

isnt it lovely!
have a great weekend! and Happy Halloween!!

beth bennett said...

Thank you Shandel. That is very meaningful.
Happy Halloween to you all.
love beth

Anonymous said...

that reminds me , get some halloween candy to hand out to the kids tomorrow.
Ken

beth bennett said...

Do you celebrate Halloween I was not sure.
love mom