Friday, October 21, 2011

UNEXPECTED

I experienced an unexpected joy when I went visiting yesterday.   My attitude and my energy were better after having a restful day the day before.  Jim was happy to see me and receive his cookies but he does not like visiting so I do not stay long.

Sandy, the activity worker had wanted me to meet this lady, Irene, but although she had taken me to her room there was no answer.  Just as I go to leave Sandy is leaving too and we meet Irene in the parking lot; where she was out walking.

  We go back inside and find a comfortable spot to sit.  She is beautifully dressed and is 97 years old.  She has only been there a few months.  Her family are down south for the time being.  She is a portrait painter and took schooling in Europe.

She is a very interesting person and a joy to be with.  As I get ready to leave she takes my hand and looks into my eyes and tells me how beautiful I am. Correction, she says I have beautiful eyes and she likes the shape of my face.  She asks me if I have ever written children's books and I say no but I like to write in a journal.  It is a very special almost mystical moment that was totally unexpected.

Amazing at 97 to still be interested in life and in others.  She admits she needs her rest and to be cared for.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

97, just to get to that age, let alone walking and talking seems amazing.Sandra

Anonymous said...

Good to hear Jim enjoyed your cookies?
ken

beth bennett said...

Yes, what an exciting life I live!

love mom

nancy-Lou said...

How sweet to read the story about the 97 year old lady...those totally unexpected times are wonderful gifts for a special lady. Well deserved.
Nancy