Saturday, January 19, 2013

EMOTIONS

The snow is still here in hidden areas where the sun has not been strong enough to melt it away. On Wed. dad walked in the Watershed and the grass area still had snow lying on it although the paths he choose that day were fine.

Dad now has a nasty cold with the sore throat, headache and runny nose.  I think he is run down with all the different things his body is fighting, his skin cancer, his leg and hip pain and his eye problems.
We both have so much to be thankful for it is important to remember this.  You forget how miserable a cold bug or flu bug can make you feel until it hits again.  A sense of humor is good medicine!

I spent the day trying to contact people that were to come to our house on Sat. night for our book discussion and unless you actually talk to people it is hard to know if they have got the message on E-mail or on their answering machine.

I react to life with many different emotions and try to understand why I feel like I do about different things.  My goal is to find the calmness and serenity that comes with both faith and intellect and being aware of my emotions.  My relationship with my friend has been restored but there are now new boundaries which I have always known are important.  Moments of reconciliation and kindness are worth having.
 
In the gospel of John I read that "he (Jesus) was moved with the deepest emotions.  John 11:33
 
There is grief, frustration, and even anger in his response to the cruelty of life and the hardness of the hearts of those who turned away from his message of forgiveness and mercy.  But some of his messages are words of anger and frustration.
 
His intense anger when he found that instead of a house of prayer it had become a market place
- John 2:16
 
"The devil is your father and you prefer to do what your father wants."  John 8:44 (that is a strong condemnation)
 
Extraordinary sensitivity when he says: "Who touched me?  I felt that power had gone from me. Luke
 
I am reminded about the importance of being aware of my feelings.  Jesus came to be a light for our souls and in that light I believe there is healing.   I, also, want to become more sensitive to the emotions of others.
 
"The longest journey is the journey inwards: for those who have chosen their destiny, who have started on the quest for their source of their being."  Dag Hammarskjold  Church Bulletin

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully Dad will be feeling better again soon.

He can watch hockey, if he wants to, for three games in a row! Hockey Night In Canada is trying to make up for lost time, it seems.

It is good to actually talk to people and make sure they get the messages, that is true.

Love,

Rick

Shandel said...

Feel better Grampa! it sucks being sick, Cameron is finally feeling better and i am trying not to let my raw throat get worse. Oil of oregano!! :D Hockey starts tomorrow for our beloved Oilers. at least he will have that to watch as he gets well. Have a good weekend
xo

beth bennett said...

That is good that Cameron is improving with your good care Shandel I am sure.
Yes dad is a much better patient than I am who always insists that a walk is a good cure. lol
X0

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better Dad,. At least you have 8 hours of hockey to watch.
Ken

Anonymous said...

Yes ken I know you will be watching some too.
Are your eyes any better?
love mom