Thursday, January 17, 2013

QUESTIONS

Questions help us build a firm foundation and a creation of space for answers.
They come especially in times of doubt and pain but it is important to ask, to wait, to seek.
Questions not the answers are  the foundation of a spiritual life
 
"Painful questions, like those Job faced, must be raised, faced then lived."
--Henry Nouven from Spiritual Direction
 
There are no easy answers.  and a faith that is lived does not require defending.  Growth comes when we see a new way of understanding.  Asking questions in a community of faith that is compassionate and unconditional has helped me find value and worth in myself.  I am trying to allow all the daily experiences of life;    joy and sorrow,  fear and faith , insecurity and affection,  loneliness and support
be a part of my spiritual quest.
 
As I walked on Tuesday a cold frosty morning the snow crinkled and crackled under my feet and I walked slowly and carefully keeping my eyes on the sidewalk; watching carefully for icy spots.  I was thinking  when reading the Bible it is important to keep your eyes on Jesus.   There are many false notions about God that would coincide with the immaturity and ignorance  and superstitions  of the times.
 
When we realize that the pain of the human search is a necessary growing pain we can accept what we cannot change.  "The human mind can tolerate anything but meaninglessness, and nowhere in Job's tale, is affliction even consider random; but explores how good things in life might be connected to bad things.  Religious fundamentalism, whether Christian, Islamic or Hindu, depends on the same archaic elements, in which fear and sin dominate."  --from God By Deepak Chopra
 
So I think maybe the sacrifice of Jesus was made not to make us worthy but because it proves we are worthy.  I have had to surrender some of my past beliefs and that means the ego has to let go of claiming to have all the answers.  Only then can I gain self-knowledge and recognize that God does not solve all our problems or answer all our questions, but allows us to continue to travel closer to the mystery of our existence where all questions cease.
 
Wed. morning I was off to the meeting at the church.  The new furnace makes so much noise we had trouble hearing each other which made for lots of laughter.  Jane let me know if your sore hand is better that was a nasty looking injury.
 
Not sure if I will go to the Nursing Home because of the concerns about the flu here.  If you visit you have to wear a mask.  I am sure I could deliver the milkshake though. 
 
Dad has beeeen watching the tennnis.  How can they play in that heat?
 
Cold and frosty here this Thrusday morning. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't a new furnace be quieter than the old one?

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

Questions that never lead to answers kind of drive me bonkers. I don't mind a few mystical unanswerable ones, but I need some down to earth simple stuff mixed in. Looks like Mandi is getting cold feet about their move down to BC. Last I heard they did not have jobs or a place to live yet. Well, other then our house.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

30C When I woke this morning, very hot night , and terrible sleep!! Yes in the 40's at the tennis yesterday . Coolish change expected around 7 or 8 am today.
one more early then 5 days off....yippee .Home for the Canucks home opener on Sunday.
Ken

Anonymous said...

ps my first post at 8am did not go through...
ken

Anonymous said...

My hand is much better today but strength is still not enough to turn on ignition or change gear in the car so Geof has been doing the driving today, We went out for lunch and then visited a friend who is recovering well from back surgery . What a fabulous sunset visible over the ocean this evening/ Thanks for your concern. Love Jane.P S. l have just finished reading Deepak Chopra's book " God "which l found very interesting and thought provoking