Sunday, January 6, 2013

SUCCESS

       "Change may not happen overnight, but profound results can be achieved over time. "
The Vancouver Sun
Success is a hard thing to judge, when it comes down to our own. Some days I think that I am successful if I have followed my plans and got the things done I wanted to do.  Sometimes I feel good about my blog while other times I feel unhappy withit but I publish it anyway.  If something speaks to me maybe it will speak to some one else.  Saturday dad and I had a quiet day, both of us have stiff necks.  Could it be the new mattress?

The Jewish custom is, I believe to enjoy a good debate.  When the essence of the debate is openl and both can listen as well as talk then success comes when both realize they are searching for truth.  I can say that right now I hold certain beliefs but hopefully I will continue to grow and learn.

In the story I have been reading there comes a time when a young Native girls meets a wonderful Jewish man and falls in love.  He feels very strongly about his beliefs and rituals that he sees as beautiful and draw him closer to a God of wisdom and goodness.  He loves to celebrate the Sabbath and going to the synagogue.
 
She feels very close to the Great spirit and gradually they came to see they were both talking about the same Spiritual Creator.  To allow yourself to become absorbed and feel what the other is saying from their hearts cultural differences and backgrounds can be overcome.  She had felt the Jewish religion to be cold and angry full of a vengeful God but he was able to show her the softness and fullness of this ancient God who had captured the heart of these wanderers.  There is also another aspect of the Torah called Kabbalah, which seemed to be connect to her spirituality and revealed the timelessness of the wisdom of the sages.
 
It was during a time of deep silence when neither could speak and she saw he was being true to his heart and he actually had a spiritual experience of an amazing light that he could see.
 
The question is for me what do I want for my life for it to be considered well lived?  Serving and caring for others has been important.  I think that if Jesus were to come into the room where we are gather his heart would be full of love for all and the dove of peace that rested on him is the gift he would give.    In his life he had lived with the outcasts and those who were aware of their poverty.  Jesus offended the religious and uptight who were blind to these needs and always aware of their own need to be righteous. 
 
He walked with those he taught and he walked with those who were hungry for the truth about God.
Was he successful when his life ended on a cross?  He would leave this world with many still struggling and searching for answers.  I think some a lot of times in life we are called to carry on where others have stopped.  Success is being faithful.
 
I am so glad we went to the Vineyard Church where many wounded and abused people were drawn, many because they had felt abused by religion as well as their life experiences.  One could see the cavernous vibrations that shook their hands lifted in prayer revealing the shaking within.  The Holy Spirit was touching the deep woundedness of their souls.  We all can experience the spiritual in different ways.  Nature is a beauty vibrant source.  Music touches our emotions that no words can express. 

The scripture may not say it but I believe I am to love the unlovable with compassion but not be drawn into their dysfunction.  This can at times call for tough love.  Everything good has a dark side and we can concentrate on the good if we choose.

"Take it upon yourself where you live to make people around you joyful and full of hope."
Nelson Mandela-at the openning of the Zola Clinic -March 7, 2002

"But it is the spirit of a man, the breath of the Almighty, that gives him understanding."  JOB 32:8

3 comments:

Sandra said...

true, you never know when you might speak or write a word that is just what some one needed to hear. If I forget to call, Randy is making Butter Chicken tonight if you want to come over for dinner. I know it is not your favorite. I have some left over beef stroganoff from last night? Sandra

beth bennett said...

Sure sounds good. Panned to come and visit anyway but of course sometimes plans do not work out.
love mom

Anonymous said...

Hot today, but I get to go to work in the air conditioning.
Go Seattle.
Ken