Friday, January 18, 2013

EYES

Open the eyes of my heart so I may see!

I was amazed as I looked out and saw such a beautiful sunrise filling the sky.  It was cold but promised to be sunny. 

"Spiritual disciplines are the skills and techniques by which we begin to see the image of God in our own hearts and it is not easy."   --Henri Nouwen from Spiritual Direction

"Legalism creates a mask of conformity which makes the believer holy in his own eyes and thus prevents him from coming to self-knowledge." from A Glimpse of Jesus. Jesus said that the law was important but what was needed was a new attitude toward the law, an attitude much like the grace of A.A. to open my eyes to see and confess my faults and take responsibility for my own weaknesses.

I am not called to be perfect but to be open to seeing that perfectionism can be idolatry and creates feelings of superiority towards others we may see as less perfect.  I believe that if I could look into the eyes of Jesus I would detect the infinite compassion of His Father.  I want to see.

"Learn from me"  Jesus said, "for I am gentle and humble of heart."  Matt. 11:29

"We perceive what we are prepared to see and know.  The contradiction in holy messages arose because of our own limitations.  We label as God mere glimpses of higher reality, like seeing one figure in DeVinci's Last Supper.  -from God by D.Chopra

I believe that I can learn even from the Old Testament, when I look for a pattern that reveals a loving God.  and hopefully our picture of God can evolve and be changing although He is the same.

Can I really see myself as others see me?  Like many things in life I think this is a gradual process.

I see that children are still losing their mittens, like I did as a child, as I see one here and there on my walks.  I myself have two black lovely warm gloves that are for the same hand and I do not know how that happened.

Dad and I went to see the Life of Pie and it was full of amazing, magical, colors and affects that were unbelievable.  Came home and watched some of the Lance Armstrong interview with Oprah and went to bed feeling like he was getting a cold.
This is the sunrise and there was a lovely sunset too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently the nice sunsets are because of air pollution, at least up in Kamloops.

Yes, all religions descend into legalisms at some point.

I didn't watch Lance but I gather he wasn't very sincere.

Love,

Rick

Sandra said...

What can you expect for Armstrong, he sounds like a grade a jerk and I am sure is just trying some how to spin this to favor him self. One and a half hours till Mary finds out boy or girl. I have my first school work due so will be working on that in between drywalling the bedroom closet. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Maybe all the smoke from the Aussie bush fires are giving you the nice sunsets. I see the Canadian is still in the Australian open. 5 days off now .
up early to watch the LA kings game live tomorrow followed by the Canuck at 2pm.I missed all the Lance interview.Saw some exerts of it, Opra looks huge in comparison to Lance. Ken