Monday, January 28, 2013

INFLUENCE

I am amazed at the influence of a story,  that may even be called a myth,  can have in one's life.
 
If I were to have a wish I would wish that I have been able to have a positive influence on the lives of others.  I suppose we all influence our children in some way or another; and also our friends.  When I think about the disciples of Jesus I wonder if we realize how much they gave up to become his followers.  There were also women who followed him who may have given up their reputation and role they were playing in their own life's.  Jesus had a great influence on all their lives and even Paul who did not know Jesus was influenced by a divine appearance of blinding light.  Quoting from the book "God" (which I lost for awhile and kept asking dad if he had seen "God") Paul presents a clear message of the goodness of God who transforms and inspires individual lives.  Paul had a great influence on the growth of Christianity.  The disciples may not have been this happy group that all agreed and at first Paul was definitely an outsider but he gave his life to spreading the word he believed.
 
What I do  value are  my family and my friends, generosity and compassion, the sick and the elderly, the seekers and questioners, the so called failures that keep on trying, truth and honesty, the wounded healers, those who speak up for justice and those who value all human and animal life.
 
I find all these traits in Jesus and because I trust his words and his actions.  There are many profound truths and wisdom in other teachings yes that is true and I think there is a link between them all and yet for me nothing compares to the wisdom in the Scriptures.  Words that believers were willing to die for.   It is not always easy to find the true meaning,  one has to read and reread and let your mind absorb what sometimes is hidden. 
 
 A changed life is the greatest miracle of all and there have been many thousands who have experienced salvation.  Salvation takes the rational mind into a world beyond reality.  I have many people influence my life and I believe that even my ancestors who I never met have influenced me.
 
A quiet day for dad and myself.  I hope that to-morrow will find him even better.  Disappointing hockey game so there is room for improvement there too.  I did a lot of reading.  I hope I will have a good walk today.
 
 Happy Birthday Stephen our very special grandson who is loved a lot!
 
We are so happy Stephen married such a special girl.  He has great tastes!
 
 
I know Shawna is a good influence.

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Randy and I had another busy day, I had a test to do and the clean up continues. Dont forget! It is Stephen's birthday today. 33 years ago today Stephen started you and dad on your roles as grandparents. Sandra

beth bennett said...

How could I forget. So many great memories and now I have my helpful calender with the dates on from his made for us by his dear wife.
I would have like to drop by but thought we would stay home with our germs.
Take care of yourselves.
love mom

Anonymous said...

Yes a disappointing game yesterday. I think they will bounce back today. Cool day here today.
I thought you guys were feeling better ?
Ken

Anonymous said...

Yes, Stephen is a lucky fellow.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

Grandma We are so fortunate to have you. To look up to and influence our lives. Very proud of you. Glad to here you and gramps are feeling better. Looking forward to moving home and be able to visit often.