Friday, December 30, 2016

HAPPY DAYS

 
The squirrel eating our bird food.

Words from my journal.

Saskatoon was a good place to grow on in for me.  We lived on a tree lined street in a rented house and the man who owned the house had a room there and he also had a dog.  I was delighted with having a dog to play with.

My brother and I had to share a room for several years until the man past away and my parents were able to buy the house.  I was fortunate that my parents did love me and provided a good home.  My brother was a big tease and he got into trouble for other reasons too.  He was out-going and talkative while I was quiet and shy.  My dad was very strict and maybe that was from his childhood and also from the army.

Each day began the same way with my dad shaving and mom making breakfast of porridge and toast.  I happily took my place in the corner of the breakfast noon so I could look out on our back yard. There was a big patch of grass and then a vegetable garden.  I would be sent out to pick peas or carrots or raspberries as they became ripe.  This was during the war years and having a garden was being supportive of our troops.

I walked everywhere as we did not have a car but neither did a lot of people.  I would get very brown in the summer walking to the swimming pool across the train bridge.  I would take a lunch and stay there all day meeting friends and lying on the grass reading.  One of my first jobs was working there.
I loved to read as I still do.  Animal stories and historical novels and then.

My home was an average middle class made of stucco with shiny stones build into the stucco.  The living room had a fake fireplace with book shelves on each side.  My dad read Zane Gray books which later I would read too.

When my room became just me I slept in a brass bad that had come over from England.

I was a dreamer that would image adventures more than doing them.  My thoughts often shaped by the clouds moving across the sky!

Anyway that is enough.  I hope Nancy comments.

Yesterday was quiet.  Dad and I had a trip to the library.  I got a book about the Gut
which we will read together.  Dad plans to visit Don Begg and I will take down decorations and pack them away.  I will check on my neighbor Linda who has the nasty cough and cold.

You appreciate your parents more later in life at least I did and I am thankful I can remember mom when she was healthy and active.

7 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

I love to hear these stories of your childhood Beth! They take me back to my childhood days too and yours sound much like mine did! It is interesting to read that your parents rented and had a roomer. Did your Mom cook for him too and do his laundry?

In those days it was quite common to have a roomer...it was necessary to get by. My Great Aunt had a boarding house and she looked after many people...her sister always lived with her and my Mom was raised by her because her Mom died when she was young. My Great Aunt was a fabulous cook..but inthose days money and food were scare and she often "did without her meal" so her niece and sister and boarders could have enough to eat. This was in the early 1900's.

Oh boy, sharing a room with a brother must have led to some "confrontations" didn't want to say fights,haha....I bet you were glad to have it to yourself and sleep in that brass bed.

My bedroom overlooked an oak tree and lilac bushes and the scent from them was heavenly as it wafted in my window. The oak tree had an orioles nest in it that was fun to watch swaying in the wind and the to hear the distinctive call of the orioles.

Did you walk across the train bridge when it was an active bridge? Boy that could be scary. We had a train bridge that went across the Red River and was built during the war to move grain. AFter the war it was not used and we used to go there and play...but we weren't supposed to be there! Great hills for sliding on along the river bank.

It was interesting that your Dad liked to read too...it fosters a love in children that lasts throughout a lifetime...look at how you like to read and I think Sandra too, is a reader. It was the same for me too, my mother was a reader. My Dad liked books, but was so busy he didn't have a lot of time to read. He was a lawyer and sat on quite a few boards.

What was Larry's life like as a child? Larry maybe you would like to tell us the story?

Beth was your Father born in England? Do you know where your family came from there? My Grandmother was born in Basingstoke England. They immigrated here in 1893.

My Father was born in Belfast Ireland and had a lovely soft Irish brogue. I can still hear his voice after 40 years since his death. I was very close to him and miss them a lot. They died when I was 33.

Do you have fond memories of special things that your Mom liked to cook for you? I sure do. She did a great beef roast beef with Yorkshire pudding. Also pies, especially lemon. MMMMMM

Well thanks for the trip down memory lane.....it was fun. Please write more if you like to and Larry..I hope you do too.

Love, Nancy

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful dear,!

Sandra said...

I am happy that you were able to provide just as wonderful childhood for us, though different is most ways. We decided to try and find a small hill to go sledding on today but ended up a a park with just a tiny bit of a slope. The thing was, at the park with no wind blocks it was very very cold! Simone just hunkered down on the sled under the blanket but Sebastien was thrilled to be able to run and run in the snowy field with Riley. We ended up at the swings and Simone did come out and play. we did not stay long as it was very cold facing the wind, made your eyes water up and sting.

Sandra

beth bennett said...

My dad was born in England in South Shields.

I have to phone my brother to find out somethings.

I have lost the information sheet he gave me.

She did not work after she married dad.

Yes we had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding evert Sunday.

She made great pies!

A bit milder here today so had a little walk.

Love beth

Mom was born in Lypton Sask. She took nursing training.

beth bennett said...

Yes I did walk on the train bridge when it was active.
It was scary!
love beth

nancy-Lou said...

Beth, did you know that South Shields is very close to the border of Scotland? I googled it.
Your Dad must have had quite an accent! I had an artist friend who was from northern England and she had quite an accent...loved it! But there were times I had to ask her to repeat what she said!

Did your Mom work as a nurse after her family was grown up? My Mom did....she was a secretary.

Glad you got out for a walk. I will take Max and Bella for a walk today...it is warmer. -12.

Love, Nancy


Client Strengths said...

What a nice story Mom. I love to hear about when you were growing up. Now I see why the brass bed is so significant as well. Does Sandra have that now?