Tuesday, December 6, 2016

SLIP AND SLIDE

No I did not make this snow man but I can remember the days when I did.  The other thing was a fort that would require a lot of work.  Today I enjoy looking out the window and watching.

Yes Nancy we did have snow most years in Saskatoon for Christmas.  Snow is not any fun here,  I tried to walk over to the Post Office and was terrified it was so slippery.  A lady came along to help me by taking my hand and keeping me steady.  I told her I was going to rest at Star Bucks and I did but then I turned around and carefully made my way home again.  I was so grateful for a hand to hold.  I was so grateful for our sidewalk being shoveled and a path to the door.  I will sprinkle ice on it in the morning ready for the next snow fall.

Dad went to the eye doctor and had drops but in and the sun blinded him when he came out.  He stopped at the hardware store.  I should have gone with him.  I usually do but it is usually a long wait and I wanted to make some more soup only with the canned soup that dad could have but not for me.

One thing I like about Christmas is feeling like a child again filled with wonder at a snow fall and the lights on our neighbors houses.

Christmas also beings out many emotions but the lights remind us to look for the light that is always shining.

To-morrow is our Christmas luncheon and I want to buy some warm socks for the homeless on our way.  Dad will drive me as I will not drive in winter conditions.

I know there will be an outpouring of love and affection as we gather together.




4 comments:

Sandra said...

Peanut and I had to cut our walk short last night, just too slippery. With Peanuts bad knees I did not want her to slip and tear them more. I will probably just do a short one this morning.

Almost no one has shovelled their sidewalks, I think maybe 2 people. Obviously they do not walk themselves or they would know what a difference them taking 10 minutes can make.

Be careful out there today, dont take risks,

Sandra

Steady-as-rain said...

I am very happy to read that somebody literally lent you a hand to keep you upright. You must be very careful on the slippery and icey patches. That is the trouble. Not so much the normal snow, but where is gets packed down and slippery, or where it melts and then freezes again overnight.

I think you meant sprinkle salt, not sprinkle ice.

Socks for the homeless is a very good gift, they say.

Love,

Rick

nancy-Lou said...

Oh boy, Beth, I am so glad that you didn't fall on that icy walk to the post office. They sell cramp-ons here, which are spikes that fit over your boots. I guess you would need them so rarely there that they wouldn't be available for purchase. That was so kind of that lady who gave you a hand...many people wouldn't even think of helping these days.

Poor Larry being blinded with those drops that dilate the pupils. They should have asked him if he had a driver with him and reminded him to use his sunglasses. They always do at our ophthalmologists.

How old is Peanut? She must be getting on in years. Sandra takes such good care of her.

Bella and Max will be 9 in January....they are full of spunk still and love to chase each other around the yard and wrestle. They have never been separated...even at the vets they have to be together. Max is very protective of his sister and she worries if he isn't nearby.

Pretty much everything shut down yesterday and today....we got a lot of snow. Many people didn 't make it into work and the schools were all closed. We are snowed in and waiting to have our drive-way plowed and car shovelled out.
Our Son has a 4x4 truck if we needed to go anywhere. He is a journeyman carpenter and working today..although it is still snowing. They are building a new house and working outdoors.

Jane, I am thinking of you and hope that you are getting some much needed time for yourself. To re-charge your batteries. I am a caregiver to Carl and he suffers from some delusions, although he isn't too forgetful. I am thinking it could be Lewy Body Dementia. It certainly is challenging with the many mood swings.

An elderly man was missing from his home in Winnipeg....there were missing person reports all over the news for a couple of days. Yesterday he was found wandering on the highway near where we live. Very wet from the wet snow, weak and hungry. He was taken into the local restaurant and his clothes were dried in the laundry mat next door. Given food and a ride back home...now how great is that! The fellow that found him is the deputy chief for our fire dept. A good news story. His wife was very relieved and thankful.

We will stay home today..tomorrow is the dentist to see why I the infection keeps returning...in the tooth they did a root canal in August. Four times it has come back..it means another root canal tomorrow...oh joy!

Have a great day today and stay safe!

Love, Nancy

beth bennett said...

Nancy
That is so discouraging and painful to have infections
and another root canal.

I am being careful and I have some spikes to put on if I want to try and go out.

Yes Rick I think I need an editor but at least on the computer you can go back
and fix it.

Love mop