Monday, June 26, 2017

ANCESTORS

I have to stop and think.

My dad came from England and had three sisters.  Two were unmarried  and the one girl had one son.  This would be my cousin Bill.  He and his wife came to Canada many years ago when Ken was still at home.  Dad had his little airplane then and he flew them over to Victoria and we even went to the wax museum.

My mom had one sisters who had two girls.  My cousins Laura and Pat.  We did not see them much although they grew up in Saskatchewan.  My parents did not have a car and there just was not any visiting back and forth.  Dad and I did visit my Aunt in Victoria when she retired out there and the two girls also moved there.

My brother has two boys who live in Alberta.  They would be my nephews.  Dad and I have visited Brian and Traudl in Invermere when we did traveling back to Edmonton and Calgary.  One of the boys came and stayed with us years ago for a few days.  

I have a distant cousin in Australia who we saw when we traveled there to see ken and his family.
She married one of my dad's uncles.  One uncle went to Australia and one to the States and one to Canada.

My mom was born in Lipton, Sask.  Her dad and mom moved their from England after the war.  He was given farm land but he was no farmer and ended up selling insurance.  When I was about two my grandmother lived with us for six months but I do not remember this.  Later when she became ill she moved back to a nursing home in Lipton..  I remember when she passed away and my mom going back for the funeral.

It was a friendly family but we were just not too close.

I would have loved to travel to England but never did.

I wish I had asked my parents more questions when they were alive.  I have forgotten things I did know which is too bad.

Growing up it was always exciting to get a Christmas parcel from England.  A new dress and candy.

We had a little excitement to night when the front door blew open, and we did not hear it, but Haiti did and was off down the street.  Our next door neighbors offered her cat treats to get her to come with them back to their place.  They are very kind people and have offered to walk Haiti when I feel two tired to do it.  Mornings are not too bad because a walk in the morning is always good.

"No act of kindness however small is ever wasted."
---Aesop

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Do you still have Hati? Does that mean more people are looking at Carol & Pantali's house?

Some one had destroyed one of my honeysuckles on the other side of our fence on Sunday night, and this morning they have cut up one of the grape vines. Very sad, I do not understand how people get pleasure from causing others pain.

That is good that you put down your family history in writing. It is too bad that we were not more of a close family, it would have been nice to feel connected to a larger group. Maybe that is why I do family dinners all the time.

Sandra

beth bennett said...

Yes we still have Haiti.
Pentali is busy marking papers and is not driving by.
I do not know where Kim is.

It is hard to understand people who are so mean.

Ken tried to phone on his car phone but it kept
cutting out. He was on his way to work at 2.

He had a good visit with Brittany and her boyfriend.
Went to Aussie Rules Footie and ice hockey game.

Love mom

nancy-Lou said...

I was so pleased to read about your family Beth. You just have the one brother. A small family too. How interesting to read where your parents came from and to read your Father was given farm land and he wasn't a farmer! oh well it worked out ok didn't it, selling insurance?
Now what about Larry's family? Were they from Saskatoon?

My goodness I cannot believe people are so heartless and cruel to cut down Sandra's bush and grapevine. I am so glad we don't have neighbours close by. We live on 4 acres and I can go our in my nighty in the evening to water my plants.
I wouldn't want to do that living in a city! So sorry for Sandra. Some people are just downright mean.

I saw my doctor at the Reserve this morning and can't get over the difference there. You open the door and walk in and people are all saying hello and good morning with big smiles....isn't it a nice day? The native people are so much more relaxed and happier. We have some friends and ex employees ( from when Carl retired ) who are native and they are always laughing and joking. I went to the Sagkeeng grocery store and bought a few things and was asked for my treaty number!I was thinking maybe I could borrow my friends....hahhaa just joking, I wouldn't do that!

So the good news is I don't have cancer. I think I gave my doctor a scare and he tested me for some. I do have Poly Rheumatica which is the cause of my pain in the muscles and joints. it is with me for a lifetime...and I must be on prednisone. But it sure could have been worse...so I am counting my lucky stars.
It makes it hard to teach painting because of all the set up and tear down and carrying stuff etc. But I will...I start July 6th at the summer clubhouse. Looking forward to it very much.

I hope you feel stronger and will be able to walk Haiti.

Love to you both,
Nancy

It has been so hot at the coast! i see you have been breaking heat records. You aren't prepared for the heat just like you aren't prepared for the cold and snowy winters. We have air conditioning here and it is a good thing because we also get the humidity from the deep south along with the heat.

That Haiti the escape artist! What a good thing the neighbour caught her and brought her home. I hope she is chipped and has a tattoo in her ear.
It is hot and humid here today too and our dogs are stretched out on the cool floor. I haven't turned on the air conditioning yet.


beth bennett said...

It was my mom's dad so my grandfather who was given land.

Yes I just have one brother and Larry is an only child but he did have cousins.

I am thankful for the effort our family makes in keeping us in touch.

Ben's birthday today and he is now 14.

I am thankful for our fans that help keep the bedroom a little cooler for sleeping.

Love beth