Wednesday, June 28, 2017

SISTERS

Sandra's garden.

Two sisters growing up in a small Saskatchewan town were very close.  Their dad died at an early age leaving the family to struggle financially.  Edith, the oldest became a teacher.  Her heart was capture by a handsome charmer who after they were married took her to live in Swift Current.

Sadly he turned out to be a drunk  and an abuser.  My mom Elsie wanted nothing to do with him so the sisters were separated by distance and emotionally.  Things were different in those days when you made a mistake in marrying some one you thought you had to live with the consequences.  

After many years of suffering Edith did get a divorce.  Sam her husband died in a car accident when he was driving drunk.  

Bad things do happen to good people.

My mom became a nurse and gained many friends who became like sisters and who she kept in touch with for years,

When I give to some one less fortunate it is not with a judgmental attitude but with the knowledge but there for the grace of God go I.

"The religious life is to walk not by sight but by faith,
to act in confidence of things unseen in hope of future recompense
and not in fear of future punishment."   -unknown

There is sisterly love that is always a part of who you are,
In later years my parents would travel by train and ferry to visit my mom's sister.
Very happy visits1

There is a love that will not let us go and is called "Amazing Grace!"

5 comments:

Sandra said...

So is Hati back home? Panteli looks like he is taking very good care of the yard.

When I got home I ate my supper then went and dug up the remaining grape and honeysuckle vines. The grape vine I just threw the root ball over the fence and planted it so I did not have to untwine it from the peragallo. The honeysuckle I took to the front.

I will plant something there again next year, hopefully the disturbed person will no longer be prowling our back alley.

It is nice to have it a bit cooler, though I hope we get some hotter days when the kids are here. It is so nice in the mornings on those days.

Sandra

beth bennett said...

Yes Haiti is back home.

True gardeners never give up eh!

love mom

nancy-Lou said...

I can hear the excitement already with Sandra expecting the arrival of her family from down east. I do hope there are a lot of hot days, which will make for lots of pool time.

Beth it is interesting to read about your family...the story of your Mom's sister is sad though. Poor dear having to suffer through all those years of abuse. I am glad she was finally freed. I guess every family has some skeletons in the closet, don't they?
Mine was my philandering Great Grandfather who was a doctor in England. His wife had four children, all girls. She divorced him. he went on to have another daughter in Wales.

Haiti is the travelling dog isn't she? she is lucky to have two homes. I wasn't feeling well today so didn't do the dog walk. I will this evening once this humidity clears off. The dogs are busy looking for a gopher who is living dangerously in my garden. The dogs knocked down my peony blooms...darn and they were so pretty.

We are off early in the morning for another ultrasound test for Carl at St.boniface Hospital in Winnipeg. it is checking up on the aneurysm surgery he had last year and looking at a hernia. We have to leave the house at 7am. rush hour traffic in the city...but I am used to it.
There is a lot of traffic on the highway now that there is beach weather and the long weekend coming up.
Our nephew was visiting today and he runs the parking lot and they are pretty busy already.
I will have to take one of his taxis down to the summer clubhouse when i teach some classes.
I don't want to try and drive in the restricted area...people really resent it and give you dirty looks plus they don't move out of the way.
I guess because they can't drive there they don't want anyone else too. I could apply for a permit. We always used to have one when we had the business's. but we don't go there very often.

Beth do you have a vegetable garden as well? I have some in pots and I have large boxes on our deck where I grow cucumbers, potatoes, tomatoes, swiss chard, herbs and sweet peas. I also grow zucchini in a large pot. I also grow climbing nasturtiums in a large pot on top of the bird feeder...it hangs down to the ground once the plants mature. We don't feed the birds at this time of year.

Well I hope you have a nice evening,

Love. nancy

Anonymous said...

The kids had a disco today at school. They dressed up. Tomorrow is the last day of the third term. Two weeks off . The kids and Melina are great owing to comic con on Sunday . Matthew is dressing up as Harry Potter and Jasmine is going as Harlequin. I may go depending on how tired am. I did a shift change now I am doing 5 14:45 shifts in a row. Usually get to sleep around 1:30am. Later if the last flight to London is delayed. Melina is on late shift as well. Nona is picking the kids up after school.
We'd had a nice visit with Brittany and her boyfriend Matthew Hutcheson on the weekend. Brittany has been head hunted by a big hotel firm in Sydney and may move there.
Ken

beth bennett said...

Ken sorry your phone call did not work.

Sounds like the kids will have fun dressing up.

Those shift changes are very hard on a person.
I do not know how you do it but like my early morning paper girl
says I do it because I have to,so the same for you I guess.

Nancy I planted some herbs and some tomato plants.
My strawberries do not do well I do not know why.
Sandra is picking hers every day.

Hope the results are good for Karl with the ultra sound.
That is a early morning start.

Love mom