Sunday, April 22, 2018

BELIEVE

I believe it is going to be  a super day!  Lovely and warm and more flowers bursting out in beautiful color.



I believed we would enjoy a good supper because 
andra and Randy are a good team.

I was sure Panteli would have a few jokes to tell..

We also talked about health and family and work and O dear about religion!

I feel very ineffectual in sharing my faith in a group of  professed unbelievers.  Unbelievers in religion.  

I would feel very lonely without the presence of the energy that I call God.  I know we all have moments of awe and wonder that can seem to make time stand still.

I believe that I do not carry the burdens of grief and sorrow alone.
My prayer is for others also who are having difficult times.

Bishop John Shelby Spong shares his experience of a near death loss of consciousness when he had a stroke..

"Suddenly I was on the floor and unconscious and high above my body.  I felt wonderfully at peace."

He returned to consciousness to be paralyzed on one side unable to walk or write.

He improved but had a great sense of urgency to finish his life by writing this last book at 88.

I read another story about similar experiences but the words he used afterward where he described this life changing experience as leaving him with a feeling of   "being haunted by the power of love."

Does the idea of God still have meaning?

Do we have to choose whether to believe in science or faith?

Many churches are closing and that is so sad.
Our civilization is doomed as it would be if we lost our sense of family.

Community is so important, life is about family, friends and Faith!

Just walking in my church gives me a sense of calm and peace.

I believe in a power I cannot see and yet I know is there.




4 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

Even though many of your family do not believe in religion, Beth, the good moral teachings you have given them stand them all in good stead. Don't think of it as a failure...but as a success to see how well they all lead their lives..all wonderful caring people. Many younger people have left the church, but they still believe in faith.
I, too have left religion behind and have a strong faith.

Recently there was a fellow here to buy my Korg synethiser and we had a good talk...although I hadn't met him before. he was an "old rocker" who was with Burton Cummings and his band the Guess Who. He was an agnostic...not sure if that is the term. I told him I though religion was the cause of so much unrest and even wars and that I had left religion, but had a strong faith. he asked me how I knew there really was "something out there"? I replied that when I walked along in nature I often felt a strong spirituality.
As an example, while walking along the lake when the lake is just beginning to break up and the ice is melting in shards and the sound of tinkling bells accompanies it...it takes me to a different wonderful place..a magical place. I know that there has to be a creator of this world...it is so special.

I must read that book by Spong. Are you enjoying it Beth? How do you feel about his way of thinking?

Well today is the day for the big walk in support of our fire chief. I am thinking there will be hundreds there in support of him. I am hoping there is a huge turnout.

It was very windy overnight and I awoke to a strong smell of a forest fire...which really made me anxious. But then I remembered there was a large fire burning about 50 kms south of us...and the south wind would be bringing the smoke up here. We just have one way out of VB...the highway because we are surrounded by water.

What a lovely dinner party you had...great photos of everyone too! What did you have for supper?

We are expecting our Granddaughter to come and visit today...after the rally for the fire chief. We only have one Granddaughter...but our son's girlfriend, Shelley, has three. So there will be little children in our life again.

I wish you a wonderful day,
Love Nancy

beth bennett said...

Hope all goes well . with the rally.

That firing seems very unfair to say the least.

I like Spong. Heis changing the message of religion.

Enjoy the visit of family.

LoveBeth

Sandra said...

So how did the vote go, or do yo have to wait to find out?

I agree with Nancy Lou, even if none of your children go to church what you believed and how you and dad have lived your lives have had positive affects on us.

Puttered around in the garden all morning. Already it is hot to be out there doing yard work. Have to run out to the store to get milk so will have to get dressed in clean clothes, but will probably just through a baseball hat on.

Randy had a nice quiet night with just one crew of men working and they never bothered him all night, just did their job.

Sandra

beth bennett said...

Yes, Sandra you and Nancy are right
we have a wonderful family and we are proud of them all.
A perfect day to sit out under our new umbrella for a while.

Love mom