Wednesday, April 25, 2018

WINDING DOWN

Winding down dad and I walk around the yard enjoying the cool evening.  Dad had a bike ride but did not enjoy it too much because his nose was running, full steam ahead, with what we think was a reaction to all the pollens out right now.

Winding down at our Bible study group finishing our study of Paul's letters.  We always enjoy getting together and discussing everything from families to politics and to happiness and also the winding down of our church.

Our challenge was to find strength in weakness with the knowledge that the grace of Christ will be sufficient for us as it was for Paul.
"There has been an explosion of knowledge over the last five hundred years and the taking the  words in the Bible as literal has made Christianity less believable."  Spong


We will know what future plans there will be for our church before we have a vote on this coming
Sunday.  All members will be allowed to vote even if they have not been regular attenders.  I will not be voting as I am not a member, which has been my choice.

Even as we come to this decision I know that I will find dreams of the past still lingering on.  I even remember one or two times I gave the sermon and my family attended.  I wonder if Carol or Sandra remember.

Reading Bishop Spong as he is winding down his life and his minister calls us to rethink our Christian care values that have been rooted in a past culture and shine a light on a brighter future.

Yes, there is a time to wind down but still remain connected!



2 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

I would have liked to be there when you gave the sermon Beth! It would be very interesting.

Sorry to hear that it looks like your church may be closing it's doors. Very sad.

People scatter and go their own ways...it is a sign of the times though.

I was just reading in a history book that was written about the area we live in and was shocked to read about Albert Beach...which actuall is located in the R.M. of Victoria Beach. It always has had a large French Catholic presence.
The Catholic church bought the land many years ago and established a camp for kids and adults. They started leasing and then selling land to people WHO WERE CATHOLIC...no others could buy. They wanted a place where Catholic people and children would meet only Catholic people...that is exactly what the book says.
Over the years there were about 400 cottages there and of course the Catholic Church.
In 1976 a protestant family wanted to buyy a cottage there and they were refused...so they threatened to take it to court. The Catholic church backed off and dropped all the stipulations and now people of many faiths have cottages there.

Also Victoria Beach was known for "only the business and wealthy people" in the cottage area and NO JEWS were allowed...yes. The year was 1943.
thankfully the no jews allowed has been dropped years ago and some of the finest doctors and lawyers who are Jewish own cottages here.

WOW we sure lived in a world of discrimination didn't we?

I am going to approach our council and ask that we apologize for the no Jewish peoples allowed...I think I was telling you about this before.
Our council is going through some really rough times right now...the fire dept and first repsonders are threatening to walk off the job and things are very angry...so I will wait until summertime to ask about the apology. I would like to see a public apology down by the bandstand with our Jewish cottagers and friends in attendance and maybe sing one of the well known Jewish songs. Just an idea...but I sure think it needs to be done...One of my friends and art clients was very offended by the no Jews allowed and the comments. It even is in the Human Rights Museum in Winnipeg...the story..shameful.I want it made right and I will do it. GRRRRRR

How are you and Larry feeling? How are is Larry's face? Are the sores getting better now? I sure hope so.

I saw the cardiologist on Monday and had tests and have to go back for a stress test anad to see him again. I had an ultrasound of my heart by a hand held device that looked like a phone...I could see my heart beating in colour...kind of weird to see your heart beating.

Yesterday we saw our family doctor in Winnipeg and more tests,..geesh this getting old is for the birds. We were gone from 9am to 5:30. thank goodness our son was here to help us with all the groceries...putting them away and to help with supper etc. Today I am zonked.

too much driving and too much doctors and tests...we may have to move to the city if this keeps up. Too much money on gas too...it is $1.30 here and I heard it is $1.60 in Vancouver.

Your garden photos look lovely Beth.

Love, Nancy

beth bennett said...

A fascinating history and good for you Nancy for wanting wrongs to be addressed and acknowledged with a pardon.

I hope you find out what is wrong Nancy. All these tests are exhausting and a worry until they find the problem.

Larry's face is clearing up.

Love beth