Monday, August 23, 2010

SURPRISE


Looking through old photo's I was reminded of the times we spent down at Boundary Bay Beach and the fun we had as a family.  Often it takes a great effort to pack up a lunch and extra clothes and towels but once we arrived everyone would be off happily playing.  It was especially good when your dad could come too!

 So, oft to church we go where the young people, 14 & 16 spoke about their lives and about what they had gained over the summer by helping and serving others. They were very young and shy about speaking but very open and honest. One never knew his dad at all and one was adopted into a white family and he was coloured; it was interesting to hear them talk about childhood experiences. I had tears in my eyes listening. They had helped out at the food bank, and had given out water and roses at the park and their message was telling people that their lives had value and meaning. Just a simple message which reminds me of what St. Francis of Assisi said: "preach the gospel always, if necessary, use words."

We all have our story of disappointments but once we realize our story is part of a bigger story I believe that we can use our experiences to help us reach out to others. Most children love a good story and they seem to especially like stories of strange creatures and fantasy. We like their to be a hero who wins in the end. At some point in life we all find some one we look up to and who has influenced our lives. As parents we try to be good role models but I am thankful for others who have influenced the lives of my children.

The story you believe and the hero's that touch your life will begin to shape and mold you into who you are. I was so surprised to hear these young people talk about just what I had written about that morning.

I believe in the presence of a loving God who touches our lives in many ways so that we can help one another.

The weather had been uncertain in the morning before our beach party. I find that more and more people seem to be tired when we get together. Carol had lots of good food put on a table for us and games were planned but it was grandpa and I who ended up playing volley-ball with Ben. Sandra and Randy had not arrived. I found it very hard to judge where the ball was going and trying to run in the sand was hard. But grandpa and I had a fun time.

Carol and Panteli invited us back to their new apartment for some chili. Just Sandra and Randy and Grandpa and I went as Oliver left to go on the ferry and the Alexanders left to drive back to Chilliwack.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats a nice picture mom. And glad to hear your breathing tests were good. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Good news the weather was ok .
Ken

Theresa Rose said...

good picture. Inspiring words as always.