Saturday, August 7, 2010

WALKING ON A RAINY DAY


Very thankful for the rain but very miserable because my computer is refusing to work. I think I need to get junk off here just like I am trying to declutter our living spaces.

Every time I go to give some of my books away I start reading and I am stalled. I am rereading "Healing and the Jewish Imagination" edited by Rabbi William Cutter, PhD.
Jewish Ethics
There is much to commend the narrative approach to Jewish ethics. The Torah begins, after all, with the story of Creation and continues with the stories of the patriarchs and matriarchs, of the Exodus, of the giving of the law at Sinai, and even the ultimate redemption predicted by the prophets. Torah in it's most basic sense means :instruction:. Stories that add to the giving of the law with powerful reminders of the frailty of human nature. Stories are rich and ambiguous and subject to many translations. What does the creation story of Genesis teach us? Being created "in the image of God" teaches us that life is infinitely precious. This was very real to me when we had to accept the death of our beautiful, full of life, little granddaughter only three months old. There was a process of dealing with all our emotions and recommitting to treasure each day we are given. Genesis may simple tells us to value life as a gift of God!

Most modern Jews are looking at their scriptures differently even as Christian teachers are looking at the Bible differently. I have come to the conclusion that all scripture cannot be taken literally and yet I still believe in the inspiration that has helped us find faith and healing in the words that live on in our hearts and minds.

"The traditional notion that Jews are bound to a system of divinely ordained laws has been maintained only among a relatively small group of Orthodox Jews. Many Biblical stories emphasize first and foremost God's power to intervene in nature and to control the course of human history. If we [the Jews] believed those stories and made them a framework for our ethics, we would be advising Jews to rely on God's supernatural powers to save them from adversity, and we would be advocating the Jewish right to settle the whole land of Israel as a divine mandate-positions rejected by the very liberal Jews."

"Love your neighbor as yourself" speaks to us all to have compassion for others which is more important than ritual scarifies that we think make us holy.

"The Israelite community's behavior is to be a mirror that captures and reflects God's holiness".

Generosity, forgiveness honesty and fairness are some of the virtues along with love for our family and honoring the faith community to which we belong and still act respectably of other faiths.

2 comments:

Merry Sunshine said...

How interesting to hear the Jewish religion is much the same as ours...we all have the common goal of living our life the way God would like us to do. Your blog is excellent Beth...you have great insight to things spiritual...it sounds to me like a lifetime of study. Glad that our family connection, although it is distant, has shown me the path to you.
Now I am off to play at church. One of the hymns I chose for today is the Church in the Wildwood. Not exactly an Anglican hymn...BUT I do like the gospel ones too and sneak one in when our minister isn't looking! Our congregation loves them.
Blessings to you on this day of our Lord.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Nancy-Lou I really appreciate your comments. I love music too and wish I could play and could even carry a tune. I sing anyways because i love to sing!

love beth