Sunday, August 1, 2010

EMOTIONS


There is an emotional longing; that I believed even as a child I felt, that I experience in the awareness of the sacred and the spiritual. As I read John Spong's words about the reason for the creation of religion. I find that I can become drawn into his words and ideas and I feel sadness because something is missing. All religions began when there was a need to understand the nature of the world and to find the security of knowing that the powerful force that appears to be controlling nature also has the power to meet our needs emotionally. Worship can seem to be a form of flattery as we sing "How Great Thou Art" or it can be praising our creator for all of creation.

Jesus said that we are to become childlike; believing with our hearts, to have a simple faith in the goodness of life. Yes, religions all have their rules the purpose of which can appear to be to win the divine favour and to find peace from our anxiety about this life and the life to come.

Yes, there is an emotional part of me that finds meaning in the words and life of Jesus; that cannot be explained or understood. Because I believe with an openness and an awareness; that like the day begins in the fog and slowly the sun shines through, there is a light that can penetrate our darkness and slowly the truth will be revealed. I believe that the ancient peoples wanted to express their gratefulness in building alters to remind themselves and others of their experiences.

Yes, they may have believed that their survival depended on having divine approval.
Yes, we have allowed others to translate and to impose rules that we are to believe have been revealed to those who seek to have authority over others.

The only words that Jesus wrote were blown away by the wind and it is the spirit that blows upon the soul that is free.

I have taken time to go for more walks in the woods and have had a rest from visiting, praying and even attending church. Now, I feel ready to start fresh.

2 comments:

Merry Sunshine said...

I hear you Beth, about the rules............the "repent or else" fear that some religions try to impose on it's people are one of the rules that is a big turn off for me. Our study group has been using the course "Living the Questions" and John Spong is on of the speakers on the CD's....he is wonderful! Have you heard about the course? One of the chapters talks about the guilt of original sin. John Spong asks what would the influence be on a child's life if the parents, seeking to improve their parenting skills, purchased a book that instructed them everyday to inform the child that they are a horrible person? 'You are incapable of doing anything about your destiny'. You are not even good enough to pick up the crumbs under the family table."
We have a very lively study group and a great leader in our minister Judy Whitmore. I look forward to fall time and the resumption of our study.
what a gorgeous apricot tea rose in your picture. I don't think I have seen one of that intense colour before. Do you know the name? Blessing to you Beth.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Nacy-Lou. I have heard of Living the Questions and my lively group is discussing The New Theology and I believe, Spong, he is one of the contributors. We watch a CC also and I always thing of questions when I get home lying unable to sleep.

I do not know the name of the rose although it was one that i added to the garden that was here in this home.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

love beth