Tuesday, August 16, 2011

COMPARISONS

The work in the garden continues but the enthusiasm in me is faltering.  You have to be so careful not to hurt the other flowers that are doing their best to grow and bloom.

Dad dug in the morning then took Ava out to lunch.  She is a very bright and determined young lady and I am pleased she is doing some volunteer work for Habitat for Humanity.

I am very proud of all our family that are working hard and contributing to the life around them.  Yes, we must never compare.  If we use the intelligence and skills that we have been given to be responsible and work at taking care of our own needs.  Some of us have a cheerful disposition and that is a blessing, but on the days I feel gloomy I can have more compassion on those who find it hard to see the positive.

Family helps to keep me humble in many ways.

I have been comparing the history and philosophy of fundamentalist religion and liberal religion.   have found that this can lead me into a spiritual "unreality" that intellectually continues to pose questions at me.  Tough questions.  I believe in the power of prayer even though I have experienced crushing disappointments and failures.  I have never let go emotionally of my belief in a God who hears and knows; because life is full of wonder and promise even when it can feel gloomy.

As Christians are concern is not so much for our own salvation, which is in God's hands, but to try and make this a better place for those who are suffering injustice, poverty and pain.  I turn a deaf ear now to skeptics, critics and cynics because they can suck the spiritual life right out of your bones.

The Bible, in the old Testament talks about a vision of the spirit bring life to dry bones and I believe in the power of the spirit to somehow transform and renew.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad is still digging? I kind of thought you were all done. I was given some bulbs to plant yesterday but did not get around to them. Usually I love the fall, but this year it is kind of sad because we never had any hot summery weather. I wonder how Panteli is feeling with no new classes, new students to inspire and teach? Sandra

Anonymous said...

I am feeling RELIEVED!!

:)

P.

larry bennett said...

Just can't help it - just have to keep digging.

larry bennett said...

Just can't help it - just have to keep digging.

larry bennett said...

Just can't help it - just have to keep digging.