Wednesday, August 31, 2011

LIMITS

My garden has been wild and crazy this year with many spreading out so much it is like there are no limits to how wide and how far they can go.  Colorful is always nice and I am glad I have some orange now appearing.

I find that my circumstances now limit what I can do.  I started out with great plans yesterday to go to different stores and then do a quick visit to the hospital, but I ran out of energy.  Home for lunch and a nap and I was very grateful to have dad drive me to the hospital.  He must have been a bit distracted as he turned off of 64th where he usually goes straight.  I thought to myself "well not the way I would go but we do many things differently".

Louise was very glad to see me because her stay in hospital as gone on a lot longer than anyone, certainly her, expected.  It is easy to feel that you have been forgotten when illness limits you.

She is reassured by our time together and a short prayer.  Prayer is not always the best thing one can do to express love and compassion but it is sometimes all we can do before we can do the practical things.  I cannot visit all the sick in our congregation but I can keep them in my thoughts and prayers.  Hopefully it also inspires a compassion that also wants to be helpful and generous with my time and my resources.

Turning on the television we are confronted with floods, famine, earthquakes and daily disasters.  A child bit by a cougar now in serious condition. 

I live in a comfortable house, in a moderate climate, I have fresh running water and I have all the money I need to buy food and clothing.  Sometimes when I hear a siren I stop and pray for a moment.  I think we all prayed desperately when we saw the twin towers collapse if only we said "O God! O God! O God!"

Nothing I believe can change some of the harsh realities and limitations that life brings our way.  Sometimes tears are our prayers.

Today Kim will be bringing Ben and Morgan and Tyler here.  It will be a busy day and I hope Theresa has a good rest, she has been very busy,  and there is also school to be prepared for.

All pain limits our lives but the soul that is touched by the pain of others softens and matures and becomes more compassionate and sensitive to the feelings of others.

Life calls for us to be tender and tough! !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A co worker of mine just came back from Arizona where the tempature was around 45 degrees I think he said. Just like you I am very glad to live some where more moderate, even with our dull summer. Are any of todays visitors heading over to Salt Spring? Sandra

beth bennett said...

Kim wants to and probably will. It would be nice for Tyler and ourselves too but it depends on just how much energy we have.

A day at a time.

Hope the shots help to-morrow,

love mom