Thursday, August 11, 2011

STAGES

Each stage in life has it's own problems.

  At times I have felt over-whelmed and just too exhausted to face another day.  I remember especially when dad's Grannie lived with us when I had four small children.  I had to hep her with everything from bathing to dressing to taking tea to her room and she complained constantly.  Why weren't the children better behaved and why weren't the meals better.  One day I actually sat and cried not knowing how I could cope another day.  But I did.  Life can be tough and it's finding that inner strength to keep going.

I have been deeply moved by the stories people, who I am visiting, have told me.  They found meaning in the tough times that gave them unsuspected strength, and a deeper appreciation of love and compassion.  We do not always understand those we love because we are all as unique as our fingerprints.

Telling our stories, sharing our pain is a way wisdom gets passed along.  Things take time and so we learn to be patient and do our best.  We learn that having a good cry is therapeutic!

"You don't think your way into a new way of living but live your way into a new kind of thinking."
The Promise of Paradox by Parker J. Palmer 

Dad worked very hard painting our garage floor with some very smelly and slow drying paint.  The smell is sickening so I sit with the door to the back open and snuggle in a blanket.  It looks great and I hope we get some warmer days to help it dry.  Had a good talk with Ken on the phone and heard Jassy and Matthew talking!  I am hoping and praying Melina and Ken will be able to get away for a week-end of rest!

Dad would like to be a green coat volunteer at the airport which he would be very good at.  The trouble is the long walk and if his painful feet can cope.  He would probably be better to go by sky-train where you arrive closer to the door than having to walk from the parking lot.  I believe it is 1 day a week for four hours but I am not sure.  It is a popular volunteer job as the airport can be a busy and interesting place.

So we are continuing to find that life teaches us how to live in very ordinary ways.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had my share of sitting there crying. But even at my age I am hearing more and more of people my age dropping dead of this or that and I can only be thankful for the days that I have had before now, and make the most of today even if it is not what I thought it should be. I HATE having to go to work, but I am so lucky that I have the young freinds here who include me in everything.Sandra

beth bennett said...

Maybe you should start a blog too.

Very true and I am always reminded of all that I have to be thankful for.

love mom

Anonymous said...

If Dad worked at the airport as a volunteer he would find everyone (passenger or whatever) who was from Saskatchewan and yak a good yak about the prairies.

I didn't know that Granny thought we were badly behaved. She did accuse me of not always hitting the toilet while urinating, which might have been true. I think I tried to blame Kenny, but he was probably still in diapers, so likely that wasn't a very convincing story.

Love,

Rick