Saturday, December 10, 2011

CHOICES

A busy time of year when one has to make choices which are not always easy.

Emotionally the last three days have been full of joy and sadness.  Being with the great grandchildren and going to their concert was just a lot of fun.  There were noisy, excited and happy children all looking so full of life.

The last two days I have been visiting the elderly who are experiencing the loneliness of sickness and aches and pains that comes with aging.  My heart aches for these dear ones who once were young and full of life.

Every human being has a need to feel loved and to feel that their lives are still important.  Some have lost all their family and wonder why they are still here.  Some like to talk of their past and share their memories.

"Everyone has physical, psychological and spiritual needs.  Phtsical needs include food and shelter.

Psychological needs are a sense of self and our relationships to others.

Spiritual needs include the awareness of and the connection to a source of power or strength bigger than oneself."     From the book "What Dying People Want"   by David Kuhl, M.D.

Dad and I drove to White Rock together.  I was visiting a friend from church and he was visiting a friend from his work.  After we took a little time to walk along the beach.


We have many memories of going to this beach with our children and grandchildren.  Again I am aware of how important relationships are; even when their is imperfection and misunderstandings.  What do  really value in life.

I would have liked to attend the concert at the church but I had forgotten about it till later that evening.  I was feeling very drained and a little nauseated so home was the best place to be, to rest and relax.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you stop off at the beach yesterday? It was nice to have the sunshine but so cold in the morning! Sandra

beth bennett said...

You stopped reading bewfore I fineshed so you can now read the rest.

Have fun to-night. You have put a lot of effort into the planning and preparations.

Say hello to Santa if you see him.

love mom

Anonymous said...

In regard to what dying people want, I hope the latest court challenge will succeed and people will have the right to doctor-assisted termination of life. I know that I will want that when the time come. Seems barbaric to even think of denying that.

I have way more memories of boundary bay beach, rather than white rock.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

I also have many fond memoies of boundary bay beach - those wre with our own children.

The wonderful memories at white Rock beach were mostly wih the Grandchildren - the Ateahs - Parsons - the Australia Bennetts and of Course the Canadian Bennetts.

Having lunch at the fish and chip place at the end of the beach (across from the pub) - sitting outside in the fenced off area right next to the train tracks. It always amazed me how silent the train would creep-up on us.

It is like yeasterday - we were sitting out there with one of our new born Grandchildren - who was sleeping pleasantly away - when suddenly this train appeared just a few feet away - seemed to be almost touching us - and then blew its steam whistle - the baby (and all he rest of us) jumped almost out of her mothers arms and screamed the loudest scream I had ever heard.
Of course the bitter cold day we left the restraunt and Theresa(about 5yrs old) ran down to see the waves crashing on the beach - but couldnt stop and ran right into the water with her big white fluffy parka on - I just happened to have my camera and took a picture - and I did laugh out loud - Theresa as I recall told me it was not funny - as did her mother.
Chasing seaguls, (both Kids and Dogs) Digging holes in sand -ditto- running out too far - falling on rocks
Memories - great - both beaches!!

love dad

Anonymous said...

parking would not have beem a problem!! I have a foot in both camps , boundry bay and white rock.But tsawwassen beach holds the most memories for me. down the steps.
Ken