Monday, January 16, 2012

AT THE BAR

I was amazed as I sat up at the bar how so many of us ladies have so much in common.  Now, for me this was a first time among the old timers, but I felt right at home.  Maybe I will get my nails done again sometime.  Ha  ha  First my eyebrows now my nails the old girl is going to town.  I grew up as a tom-boy hanging around with a lot of my brother's friends until school when I got girl friends.

This was one day last week after getting my hair cut.  Before all the beautiful snow arrived.

Sunday has been a quiet day although I did get out to take some pictures.
 The sun coming up through the big clouds was awesome.

I did miss going to church and dad really wanted to try the car out in the snow.  I think there are more snowy days ahead.  I walked over to buy him the Honey Lemon Tea and he has been drinking it and  I think he may be a bit better.  He is looking forward to watching the hockey game. I have to find out what I hit to make the writing change.

There is so much I do not know about this computer and gradually I will figure it out.  I hope.

Had time to listen to the C.B.C., write a letter, visit my neighbor and bake a cake and read!

Jesus made a startling announcement when he declared the time is fulfilled.  The temple would no longer by needed as the only place to worship God.  Time and space would now be filled with the glory of God.

This has been misunderstood through the ages.  Today we call it Deism which is a way of saying God is in a certain place and must be worshiped in a certain way.  That God is fat away in the heavens above. 

I believe that when Jesus said he was the way he meant the way for each day not the way to heaven.

Jesus was not a revolutionary but he knew that evil had to be battled and over come.

Jesus believe in the commandments of love and forgiveness and mercy and Compassion.

Jesus lived as one of us among all the unhappy and sick and lost souls.

Jesus embodied God but did not do miracles to prove his divinity.

"Jesus's powerful acts of healing, then together with all the other extraordinary things he said and did as credited to him by the gospel writers was not done to prove his "divinity"."
From the book "Simply Jesus"  by N. T.
Wright

The Bible is a witness for Jesus but he is not proof of it's rightness..

I agree we need a new vision of Jesus and of scripture.  We do not need the priests and the religious experts
to bless us with Holy Water but we are to become priests to one another.  I am all alone and yet there is warmth and peace and calm that comes with the grace of surrender and the filling of emptiness with the Holy Spirit that is pure light.

This will not last as the daily frustrations still upset me but maybe a little less than without this moment in time.


I hope and pray that dad feels better today or I think it is time to see the doctor.

There are always footprints in the snow even early in the morning showing others have gone before me.
Gundy will not walk with me because of the slippery snow and she has a slight cold.

10 comments:

Shandel said...

WOW! looks like you did quite a lot yesterday. Good for you! i am wondering, what kind of cake did you bake?
I think its sooo fun to get your nails done once in a while. Even Cameron had fun when we got married we had pedicures done. :D
its nice to treat yourself, and you totally deserve it.
Does Grampa have a cold? Cameron has been slightly under the weather these past few days. But i think today he is feeling much better. It helps when you have a 5 month old puppy to give you snuggles and kisses!
hope your day is nice today, its very cold here this whole week. as low as -36!! and a high of -26
brrr...
xox

Anonymous said...

Do you need a drive to the doctors? Let me know if you do, I am not that busy at work right now. We looked at a house in Tsawwassen yesterday and are going back today but I am pretty sure that it is a no for me. Take care out walking. Sandra

beth bennett said...

Thank you both. It was a gluten-free pineapple up side down cake. Dad is happy with his tarts from Safeway. Yes he has a cold and a nasty cough. He wants to try the car out in the snow.

His cough seems better this early morning so well will see.

Yes I am careful walking.

love mom (gramma)

Anonymous said...

The reason, in my view, that Jeusus' miracles didn't actually happen, they were pagan and superstious glosses on the basic story of Jesus that were added on fairly early (within a hundred years) to make what Jesus was all about seem more powerful and conventional. So, in that sense, they were added later to try and prove his divinity to people who thought that divinty was about magic with a flash, bang and a puff of smoke.

Love,

Rick

beth bennett said...

Yes son that is very reasonable but the only problem is that I believe in miracles which may or may not be God's intervention.

love mom

Anonymous said...

Well, what is a miracle? Some sort of super-natural event, I suppose. Is God the source of the universe? Yes, must be (that the key element of the job description). So the world, the natural world (which seems miracle enough for me) is from God. That is the proof of God, the prime element of the shape of God. So, why, given all this wonderful evidence of God, do we look for miracles (super-natural events, magic and the like) as evidence for God? Again, it is only paganism. Miracles are for people who can't take God straight, they need to dilute God with Walt Disney.

If you believe in Jesus because of miracles, then you will believe in anything, as long as it is presented with smoke and mirrors and loud music.

I can see I have a hard road ahead.

:)

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

I know we were created in God's image, but you should'nt call Him fat.heat wave like conditions today here in melbourne. Did dad watch the tennis. Melina and I stayed at the Crown Metrapol hotel for a late birthday present. There were famous tennis players eating breakfast with us on the 28th floor. Got home and my car battery is dead!!!
Ken
ps careful walking in the snow.

nancy-Lou said...

WOW....this is better than Oprah! Talk about stimulating thought and ideas about God and the bible! Amazingly enough, perhaps Rick is right.....we see God's hand everywhere....in nature, in good
deeds etc....maybe the bible has been coloured by ideas to make it more appealing and it all is "just stories".
Perhaps I am afraid to go there....just in case the bible is correct. hmmmmm then what happens?

Anonymous said...

Well, it is clearly known that the bible we have today is the result of much selection and revision over time from various old texts that were available to the early church. So it is clearly a work of man as much if not more than a work of god.

So, in my view, the idea is to search through the bible like searching through the fog for the true and central impulses of what Jesus was all about.

Rick

beth bennett said...

WOW You guys are all great and I love all comments.

Yes dad did watch the tennis on T.V. He has been in with this nasty cold.

So glad you and Melina had time out together.

Love mom