Sunday, January 15, 2012

THE NURSE

A cold windy morning with light snow blowing by the window.

Dad had a very bad night, coughing a lot.  I will be nursing him even more today.  I have the steamer on by his bed and right now all is quiet.  We  are so blessed to be able to look after one another.  He is a good patient and is quite willing to rest.  The opposite to me. 

I am thankful Rick is back home in Kamloops  It was a very good visit and glad we could all get together, well all, but Christopher who was working and hard to connect with,

The snow makes the world seem so quiet.  Sometimes quiet is so peaceful and I like it when at church we have moments of quiet.  It is what I like about the early moment calm as I mix prayer with meditation.  One by one I lift up the names of those who are not well and the universe receives and the spirit moves and rests hopefully upon those I am praying for.  No, I cannot explain this nor would I really want to understand it.

My morning prayer is like praying in a closet where it is quiet and I am alone.  Jesus affirmed this.
"Even silence is a prayer, and as Rev. Ellen Clark-King writes when one is able to face the "emptiness of solitude" which may equate with loneliness only then can we be free of our distractions and we are left with only ourselves and God."


The clouds are amazing.   They look like mountains at the end of the street.

Like all spiritual growth it is about movement when I allow my thoughts and my emotions to come to the surface and accept them without judgement; then I am changed within.  Surrendering to the  beauty of inner peacefulness and trusting God to transform me first and then allow his transformation to touch others as I send love and peace and healing thoughts to them is prayer.


I enjoyed reading Douglas Todd's article in the Van. Sun paper. 

If one is willing to touch the "holy" that is all around us in the air we breath, in the smiles we share, in the food we eat, in the beauty of a flower or a candle or a sleeping pet or child.

I think that we all struggle to really know ourselves and it is in the silence that I can allow God to reveal to me some of my deep hidden areas of my character.  (not quite the right words but then things are hard to put into words.)  I am not happy with this blog but I may reread it and change it later.

Be still and listen.

I like the Jewish view of the Sabbath as a day when human time and God's time met when pne rested from work but also rested from sadness.  In Jesus, time was fulfilled, and I think that everyday and every moment has the potential for healing and for enjoyment.

A  short walk with my camera and then a quiet day at home!

2 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

Lovely pics once again Beth....I worry about you walking at such an early hour and alone. Why not sleep in a little longer and go when it is light out? I hope Larry recovers quickly, there are a lot of bugs making their rounds these days. Silence is golden isn't it? I love to walk too and prefer to go alone and commune with God and nature. I struggle on the days the temps are -30, but dress for it and all is well. Have you tried the honey lemon herbal tea when you have a chest or head cold? It really helps, especially before bedtime. I buy it at the grocery store. Take care now,
Nancy

beth bennett said...

Thank you Nancy I am going to walk to the store now. love beth