Wednesday, February 25, 2015

CALM

P2230024

This is the walk around the park.  It can be a two mile walk if I walk around and walk there and back.
P2230020
I am thankful for the calm weather we have been having this spring.  My garden needs a bit of rain so that is okay too.

I like to start the day calmly just being thankful for the ways my life has been blessed.  I also like.  This may mean, for me, to push aside things I did not get done or mistakes I made talking to others.

 I have just read that neurotheologians (researchers who study the brain science behind religious and spiritual experience) have none focused on prayer in their lab.  Not only is prayer proving to be incredibly healthy, right up there with eating right and getting exercise, it is rewiring our brains. There has even been a book called "How God Changes Your Brain" by Andrew Newberg.  Wow I have never even heard of it.  He has tested Franciscan nuns and Buddhists monks as well as Christians.  Prayer revs up certain parts of the brain.  Losing oneself in deep prayer for others also strengthens feelings of compassion.

Often I like to walk alone because I use the time to pray and think of others.  I know that worrying about someone does no good but if I can just release them into the goodness of God I can rest knowing that things can change but it may take years.

Thus prayer helps me manage anxiety and can even boast my immune system and help me to be open to new ideas.  A new thought can pop into my head and give me hope instead of feeling hopeless.  I am so happy to find that it is good for your brain.
 
Dad and I had a good visit with Jane and Geof and heard all about the accident. ink of something good coming out of this but at least none of them were hurt and they were able to finish their drive in a taxi.  The message is about what is really important in life.  We have each other!
 
Today I meet with the gals at our Bible study and I look forward to a fun time. Do not think that we all agree but we learn from the differences people express.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I would think anything that calms your mind and gives you a feeling of hope rathe than hopelessness would be good for your health and brain.

Sandra

Shandel said...

ditto Sandra!

beth bennett said...

You are both very smart!