Sunday, February 8, 2015

HAPPINESS

P2041599
Would finding a fossilized, very ancient apple enhance the mythical story about Adam and Eve in the garden of Eve.

Truth is important but myths can lead us out of the ordinary into a realm that is beyond words and pictures of this life.  The sight of an apple can make us feel hungry just as the unseen makes our souls hungry for a glimpse of the inaccessible. 

Truth is what ennobles our lives when our happiness depends on what we believe to be true and base our actions on these truths.
I cannot say in all honesty that moments in church have been my happiest.  There have been times of disagreement but those are also times of learning and growth.

P1301571There have been times when in the silence of my own thoughts I have felt like their was the presence of an angel flitting by and that my sorrow is somehow being shared.  Also, although it raises many questions, I have found  hope based on a common dignity helpful.

Happiness for me has always been walking.  Whether it was walking to school or to work or to the store or to the beach has always given me great pleasure.

I walked to church about eight blocks with two children in the buggy and the other two walking beside.  I walked to the beach in Tsawwassen  pulling the wagon with several of the children inside and the oldest given me a hand.  A hot and dusty walk but we all had a fun time once we reached the water.  The kids plashed about and I read my latest mystery novel.

Unhappiness and quarrels forgot.

Later with the grandchildren we would walk down the hill beside our home into a forest of many threes, broken branches, spiders and snakes and lots of ants.  The further we walked the noise of the street became silent and it was like another world.

Coming home I would grab a big stick to use as a walking stick not quite up to running up the hill as the children could do.  Many happy memories and many new walks to look forward too!

Dad and I had a good visit with Carol and Panteli and went out for lunch.  Now the next job is curtain rods and curtains.

Came home and Kim had left some appetizers out for us.  We are so fortunate to have her living here with us and her presence gives us great happiness!

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I just signed up for a walking group on line, and they had to decide whether or not to allow me in the group so I had to describe some of my walks. Since I could not think of any in particular I wanted to just say I come from a long line of walkers, isn't that enough?
They did accept me, so now the hard part, making my self go out and do it. I really miss having friends though and so I hope I carry through. Shawna said that I had allready done the hard part just by joining, but that is not true. Some of the walks you can bring your dogs, but I don't know if Peanut and Lucy can do a big walk any more? Oh, and I think we might make a turkey tomorrow. I will let you know if we do. Sandra

nancy-Lou said...

Happiness......hmmm where am I happiest? Teaching a good student and seeming them excel really makes me happy. Teaching a 54 year old illiterate man how to read, how to drive, how to pass his driver's tests...yes...one of my happiest moments.
Absolutely the most rewarding in my lifetime. We both cried when he passed his driver's test.

YOu are quite the walker, Beth and I am so glad Sandra enjoys it too. It is such a healthy things to do and brings great happiness too!

I truly enjoyed hearing about your walking expeditions with your little children. Everyone walked more in those days...we didn't have a car or if we did, it was just one car.Public transportation was how we usually travelled or by walking.

Yes, YOu are blessed to have such a smart and beautiful granddaughter living with you. We don't get to see ours very often.

Love, Nancy