Wednesday, February 11, 2015

COLOURING

P2091639It seems to me that it is time to learn to colour outside the lines in all area's of our lives.  Including politics, religion, science and health issues.  Everything is changing.

As a child I would sit and concentrate very hard to colour inside the lines.

Now everything is changing.

Do Christian beliefs still matter?

Do they real change and transform us so that we in turn are committed to trying to bring change into our world of confusion and injustice.

Do people outside the church know of the many outreach issues we have been involved in.  The United Church is known for its focus on justice issues and right now we are focusing on child poverty.  This means learning more about it and doing what we can to try and change it.

The central message of Christianity has always been about self-sacrificing love.  This means speaking out for those who have no voice.  Giving generously to others who support areas where food and clothing are lacking.  Reaching out to help the helpless.

I think our young people like to be involved in causes and that there are lots of these around.

The churches style of worship does not attract most younger people.  Who wants to get up early on a Sunday morning when you have been up early all week?  There are many places where inspirational messages can be heard.  I believe that a lot of these have been influenced by the words and actions of Jesus. 

For me I do need a time that is spiritually renewing through music, art, words and prayers.

The Bible says "Be still" and I need time to be silent as well as being active.

Yes God is everywhere so we do not need to find Him/Her in church but to make room for His presence in our own hearts.

Too often the church has been like the sign keep off the grass when it is trying to now become even more welcoming.  To walk inside a church can be frightening or friendly. 

Church means to joyfully come alive to the best in ourselves and in others and to even dance and laugh and be colourful outside the lines!  Being part of a team with common visions and hopes and goals.

Christianity can be one person, helping one person to be fed, another to find work  or to become educated.

So today dad did more electrical stuff at Carol and Panteli's and I worked at home.

Today I will be going to Bible study where I know there will be some colouring out of the lines because we have so many different opinions.  Light rain on my walk.

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Learning to colour or live outside of the lines can be very challenging to the brain. We train it to see something as correct all of our lives and then we want it to accept that it is OK when we do something totally different.

Anarchy! Grab those crayons and colour on!

Sandra

Anonymous said...

Carol and I were very gald that Grandpa came and coloured inside teh electrical boxes! :)

beth bennett said...

I never thought I would be called an anarchist!
Love mom

Steady-as-rain said...

I remember a long time ago when I was about 6 or 7 years old we had a very nice baby-sitter (maybe an Urben?) who use to colour in the edges for me in the colouring books so then I could colour the middle without fearing of going over the lines.

Memory is so strange!

Love,

Rick

nancy-Lou said...

That is exactly why it is difficult to teach adult art students to " colour out of the lines". They have been taught all their lives to hang every picture straight and shut all the cupboard doors. I like to tell them before we start to paint that we are all 8 years old now...with no preconceived ideas....we are " going to let it all hang out" There is no such things as a mistake...just a "happy accident". It really works.....they relax and just have fun!
The brain is very interesting!

Another good topic today, Beth. I have not idea how you can come up these day after day...but you do! You have a talent for writing that is for sure!

Sooo I hung two of my new paintings at a new restaurant today. It has many tourists during the warm months. We will see what happens. The young couple who own it were very nice and he offered to do the hanging of the paintings.

A very bitter cold day with blowing snow on the highway. But it is so cold that it is not slippery, just makes visibility difficult at times.

I did enjoy our study group from our church. They don't meet anymore and I don't go to church either. I may go to the Wayside Chapel this Sunday because one of my young adult students is singing four songs. Apparently the whole service is being led by the youth group.

I wish you a good night and a good sleep.

Love, Nancy