Monday, February 15, 2016

CHURCH

It rained hard all day.  No there was a little break when I had a walk with Haiti. Then dark and rainy again.

Basically I take responsibility for my own spiritual growth and the many different churches have helped me in this.  There was a time when I wanted to discover ore about the charismatic gifts so I left the United Church for the Vineyard Church.  Every Sunday there was time for a ministry of laying on of hands and prayer ministry.  For me it was healing.  We made many good friends there and it was there we met Cathy and her family of girls.  Every where we worshiped we always made friends and felt welcomed.

Nancy I will tell you about our church.

We have a lady minister who is very creative and very spiritual.  She has a beautiful singing voice and likes music played a little upbeat.  It takes awhile to get used to her style of worship and her teaching.  She is just with us until June when we decide what to do about our church which has been declining in numbers.

We light the Christ candle at the beginning of the service.  Anyone can volunteer to do this.  Often the young children do it.  There are about 6 or more children at a service.  They are from babies to teen-agers.
But the majority are older folks with big hearts!

We have music and readings to start with a prayer of confession.   Then it is time for the children to come up to the front  and hear a story and then they leave for a Sunday school lesson.   There is always a scripture reading, done by one of the members with a reflection on the readings following.
Yes there is an offering which also includes food for the food bank.
Next time is set aside for anyone who wants to light a candle and say a prayer for some one in need.
We close with music and a prayer of dedication to send us forth to do the work of the church in our own families and community.
It is all a little different right now.  The church is decorated to look like a woods with trees and a water fall.  The tree is brown paper.  The water bubbles over the mighty rocks.  There are foot steps to follow and small rocks for the children to chose from. I will take a picture next Sunday.

The theme for Lent is "The Dark Woods".  Our Bible study group will be doing questions from a book of that name.  I think that our group will have to be a little more serious as the minister will be leading with others encouraged to join. 

"True faith always seeks to understand."  - St. Anslm

5 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

Beth, I read your comment about your church service to Carl too and he replied, how well you wrote about it. It felt as though I was actually there, visualizing it all...right down to the tree, waterfall and rocks...now that is cool! Incorporating the children and the congregation into the service is something our little church has been doing too. It is much more interesting isn't it, than the formal service we used to have. It almost is like a coffee house meeting.

BUT there is a part of me that longs for the feeling of reverence that I had when young and sang in the church choir...the service was very meaningful then. Of course this was the Anglican service and I think it had a lot more formality than the United Church. We had kneeling boards. We called our minister Father. He was the fellow that was converted to the church on the spot...at the battle of Mons in FRance....google the Angels of Mons..it was WW1.

Sorry to hear that your church is going to have to look at it's viability in June...that is something we may be faced too soon. We used to have four churches in our area, but sadly we are down to two and our church gives money to the second one ( poorer ) one. But it may be gone soon too. Our minister is retiring in September.

Gosh, you and Larry may have to build an ark if it doesn't stop raining. How are his boat building skills? Today is brilliant blue sky, sun and pretty cold...-23. Love the sun and it is getting stronger and higher in the sky now.

Thanks for the grand tour of your church...you are such a good writer,

Beth

Sandra said...

It was a very miserable day yesterday, the ladies at Pilates could not believe I walked still. Started the class with wet legs, but they dried by the end.

No kittens yet, Shelby is making her self right at home, and Randy says he will bring her down to watch a movie with him today. I told him he has to spend quality time with her as he might end up being the midwife.

How is dads eye this morning?

Sandra

nancy-Lou said...

I didn't want to imply that the Anglican Church was any better than the United Church...I loved them both...my father was United Church and I was Christened there, went to Sunday School there and also attended church when I was younger. Loved it and loved CGIT....did you go to that Beth?

AWe...how cute is that? Randy going to have the kitty watching the movie with him....they are good folks aren't they? Was he the midwife for the last mother cat too? I wish I could do that too...foster a mom and her kitties.

Love Nancy

beth bennett said...

Mu mom was Anglican but dad was not so they chose the United.
so I know what you mean when you talk about reverence. I miss a more reverent feel sometimes but our minister Kimiko also can capture a sense of reverence in the way she talks and moves. No offence!
Yes I went to CGIT at the United Church and enjoyed it.
I think Sandra was the mid wife. I wonder if they are expecting the kittens soon?

Love beth

Sandra said...

Randy and I think the cat is just fat, we are not expecting kittens any time soon.

We will give her a month then trade her in for an authenticated pregnant cat. : )