Wednesday, March 16, 2016

LOST

I was lost in thought when the phone rand and it was my brother Brian and his wife Traudl.
Yes they, like us are facing health issues.  Traudl is still taking the anti-cancer drug but the worst thing is her knees are so bad she can barely walk.  They will do knee surgery but the date has not been set.

They both worry about each other and now my brother along with asthma and sinus problems has high blood problems and an enlarged heart.  He has to undergo some testing.

Dad and I were hoping to attend some of Ben's games but do not know what time he is playing.  Theresa has always been good at keeping us informed but we seemed to have lost contact with Mikie.   A busy time for him taking care of the children and seeing that Ben gets to his games on time.

Dad and I will not be attending the study group at the church although I continue to do the readings. I feel a bit lost as the group has gotten larger.  A great bunch of people, some old friends and some new.

I had an interesting day visiting at the Seniors home.  Joyce is so happy to see me and we talk about how we both miss going to church and not being able to do what we used to do.  Mostly she  is lost in the time of her past memories that seem very real to her.

I tell her about the Quaker Church I am reading about.  They believed that God did not dwell in church buildings but in their hearts.  They focused on simplicity and truthfulness and waiting worship.

Prayer meant to hold people in the light by picturing  them in the light of God's grace and trust Him to work in their  lives.

At times we do not know the words to say.

"Silence is the tribute that we pay to holiness,
we slip off words when we enter a sacred place,
just as we slip off shoes      - Pico Iver

"If we read the biographies of the great and wise,
we shall find they were people of long silences and deep pondering. . . .
Their roots stuck in the soil of spiritual silence."   Brigid Herman

Haiti stared as me silently with the friendly reminder stare that it is time for a walk.

Did a bit in the garden but it was cold and went down to the mall but it is tiring.

To-morrow their is a spring tea at the church.  What will I wear?

5 comments:

Steady-as-rain said...

You know, I think Quakers were on to something.

So were the early Christians who seemed to have kept all property in common.

Love,

Rick

Sandra said...

So darn cold out, even with that sun shining. The promise of it warming up this week has not come to fruition.

I am already trying to decide what to wear on the plain ride out to see Mary next week, and what to pack. Sounds like it will be pretty cold still, will not have to bother with shorts at least.

Sandra

beth bennett said...

Yes Rick I think so too.

Sometimes I think like dad, not too often, but maybe I would like to start my own church. But since that is not likely I will carry on.

Yes it is too cold.

I do not think it will be warmer at Mary's

Love mom

larry bennett said...

I think it will be very warm there next week !

nancy-Lou said...

I have great respect for the Quakers and I like their ideas about religion.

My first experience with Quakers was when my elderly great Aunt ( who was like my grandmother ) needed care and a lady by the name of Cora Fair, who came in to care for her on a daily basis moved her into their home. They lived in New Westminster.


We always came for a visit every fall and when we arrived that year, Cora and her husband absolutely insisted we take their master bedroom...which we didn't want to do...they had beds for our two sons in another room...and they treated us so amazingly and lovingly that we thought there must be an ulterior motive..honestly we thought they were after my Great Aunts money...I am so ashamed to admit that...but how could people be that kind and good?
Of course, my Great Aunt was paying room and board..but it was nominal and she received such loving care.

When we left early one morning to drive back to our home in Manitoba, Cora got up at 4 am and made us a fried chicken picnic basket chock full of everything you could imagine..all done from the goodness of their hearts. Amazing people, truly genuine.

Not long after two Quaker men moved into a cottage in the area and they used to come and visit and sometimes have lunch with us. I went to a few of their meetings and truly found their way of thinking to be the way I thought too. I still have their hymn book..I played the organ at their meetings....an old pump organ in a very old building.

But they moved away and that was that. Thanks for reminding me about the Quakers Beth...such simple and truly genuine folks.