Monday, March 21, 2016

SADNESS

Yes we know the end must come for us all but it was sad to find that Jim
will not be enjoying his chocolate bunny, I promised to bring him,  because he has pasted on.  Of course I should have expected it and I am happy that he is not suffering any more but still a shock when you are told.  I still find it hard to believe.

Since I was not going to be visiting Jim I asked dad if we could drive to find Gundy.  We were about half way there but the Nursing  Home was in a very difficult place with dead ends etc. to try to figure out.  I was not sure about visiting Gundy.

It was a huge older place and the kind where you feel very depressed just walking in.

She was not in her room but playing bingo with a small group.  I put my arm around her and she turned to me with a blank stare.  She asked do I know you?  I talked to her about our visits together and then she remembered.  She then said she had been praying that some one would miss her as she felt so alone.  We both started to cry. 

She said she knew that she had to carry on as best she could.  She still had a mind of her own and was refusing sleeping pills.  Her son and daughter have not been to visit.  She asked if I could get her out.
So sad.  She thanked me for coming and I promised to come back again but did not know when that would be.

It brings back visiting my own mom when she was so helpless after having a stroke.  I would cry after I left her and would walk home to the bed and breakfast where I stayed in Calgary,

Yes we live in a world where there is a lot of pain.

I believe that every little thing we can do to comfort and support one another is important.




9 comments:

Sandra said...

Well, I know I kind of thought Jim was going to live for ever. And that is sad that Gundy did not remember you. It is good that her family has been involved enough to get her into care as she obviously needs help.

Sandra

nancy-Lou said...

Sorry to hear that Jim has passed on. You brought him a slice of happiness in a world where he was unhappy, Beth and I know down deep he appreciated all you did for him. Now, he has gone to a much better place. It still would be a shock to you, even though you knew he was ill. I send hugs you way!

Isn't that too bad about Gundy. My goodness she must have regressed quickly after going into the care home. Not to know you? Goodness me. Those care homes are so sad...one of Carl's cousins is panelled now and waiting for a care home. He and his wife will celebrate their 70th anniversary in August and now they are forced to live apart. He is 90 and she 89. He will be waiting for a space for at least 6 months in the hospital..that is how short our province is of nursing homes. People just give up hope...so sad. He is very depressed. He cannot walk now.

We are leaving soon to have our taxes done. Have to 'get going'.

Have a good day, Beth,

Love, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Such sad news today .Beth you have been and are a ministering human Angel to both these people. Love Jane

beth bennett said...

Well I couldn't have done it without dad's support and help
especially with the driving. It was very stressful driving and getting
sorta lost.
I felt very shook up after.
Glad it is a sunny day today.
Dad's feet are a bit worse.
We carry on eh!
Love mom

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of Jim's passing. Grundy is that the lady who lives on your street? On late shift again today. Melina called in sick today as we have no one to look after the kids. None had the kids yesterday and will have them again on Thursday . Melina thinks three nights in a row is too much. Nice and warm today. But back down to normal temps for the rest of the week. I work good Friday , but off sat,Sunday and Monday.
Ken

beth bennett said...

Yes Ken you met Gundy at the end of the street.
Her house looks very sad all dark and empty.
I will visit her again next month.
I agree with Melina that three nights in a row would be a lot.
Good you have Sat. and Sunday off.
What are you doing for Easter.
We are going to Carols and Sandra is in Kingston'
love mom

Steady-as-rain said...

Good that she remembered you eventually.

Rick

Steady-as-rain said...

Maybe her son and daughter do visit her occasionally but she just doesn't remember.

beth bennett said...

Yes I do not know.