Thursday, April 14, 2016

FRUSTRATION

Dad knew exactly where we were going and
how to get there.  Only one problem on the
computer he had walked there but when we
drove around Laurel Street there seemed to
be no way we could get to it in the middle
of the hospital area.

It was not a sunny day but neither was it a rainy day.  The night before we had been caught coming home  from our friend's house,  in a heavy rain storm with lightening and thunder. 

We were up early and the drive was pleasant and no major traffic problems.  I am finding I do not like it when dad's changes lanes for some reason it makes me feel a little sick.  I guess that is my brain again?

Dad was very frustrated when we could not find the doctor's office as he had it all figured out so we would be there in good time.  The answer was to park in the parking lot and cross a bridge and then into the hospital.  Hurrying along the first thing we had to do was find a washroom and then from there ask for directions to Laurel Street.

No problem about the time as we where kept waiting anyway.  Dr. Teal is very efficient and through but I had written things down but my only question was how to prevent a stroke.  I appear to be doing the right things and the only thing left was to check my heart with a heart monitor. I do not expect this to show anything.  My balance is not good but my strength is.  I am slow in speaking and walking and thinking.  I feel a little frustrated and will continue to try to find some source of energy and also emotional contentment.

Came home to find Dr.  Nolte's  nurse had phone to request I make an appointment.  Going to White Rock means I can stop in at Choices although I do not buy much there any more but I like to have a few goodies on hand.

I was glad we went and he will look at any reports I have in the future regarding a T.I.A.

We enjoyed a lunch at our old stamping grounds the Sylvia'
It pored rain while we were there and I tried to get a picture of an umbrella or two but no luck.

"Let go of old truths
and replace fear with love
love that comes with connecting to the divine power"
--Debbie Ford






8 comments:

Steady-as-rain said...

Good thing you kept the appointment. Little adventures like finding a place to park (and sometimes finding phones) keep us active and alert, and sometimes frustrated. :)

I had the bad tooth removed on Tuesday and implant put in as well. It was a bit uncomfortable and painful, but the dentist seemed to know what he was doing and it wasn't as bad as I had feared. So taking painkillers and antibiotics now as I recover. The antibiotics do lead to tummy troubles, but I suppose I better take them all, otherwise (apparently) there is a danger of infection in the new implant.

Did you recognize anyone at the restaurant at the Sylvia? I remember you saying before that the people working there that you had known for many years were all gone now. How did you ever stumble on to that place when you first came to Vancouver in 1956?

Love,

Rick

nancy-Lou said...

Now that was quite an excursion for you and Larry...to Vancouver General Hospital! Those large teaching hospitals are like a small city in themselves aren't they? You did very well to park and walk across the corridor to the hospital. We have to do that too!

Do you remember what the rate was for parking? It is $2.50 per half hour at most of the ones in Winnipeg. Highway robery! The doctor didn't have an explanation a to why you are slowing down in your motor movements and speech? Maybe he will send his diagnosis to your GP and then he tells you?

Carl is resting a lot. He has pain from the broken ribs. We are getting a ride into SElkirk with a friend, Ken, who will take us to the rental place where we can rent a van, similar to ours. Carl cannot get in a small car and the rental place knows us, so is giving us a deal on a larger vehicle....even though our insurance only pays for a small car. We have been without a vehicle for two days now....not a good feeling.

The spring migration of birds in in full swing now that the bitter cold weather has departed. The ground is literally covered with juncoes and sparrows...I broadcasted seeds on the ground for them. My cat is 13 this year and has arthritis, but he spied a gopher yesterda and stayed out most of the daytime trying to catch it. He slept a long time in his cubby once he came in. The weather is very nice now, but we are expecting some rain tomorrow and SAturda, which is fine because it washes away all winter's grime.

Too bad about Rick and his tooth...that is very painful to have done. I hope it gets better soon.

Have a good Thursday....glad Kim found the phone...I have an app on my iphone called "find my phone " and it uses a map and GPS to find it. I had to use it once.



beth bennett said...

Dad found the Sylvia Hotel when he came here to Van. on a holiday and stayed in English Bay. That was when he decided he wanted to live here.

We did not have a car for the first year we were here, because the old clinker we bought gave up the ghost. We would take the bus into town (dad also took the bus to work) and walked around. There was a place called Scotts with a fountain in the middle that we really liked too. Amazing they were not too expensive but a real treat to go there.

There is one man who is now familiar to us and one girl but a lot of changes in the staff and in the decorations and seating.

Take all your medications Rick for sure and take some stomach pills too. That is what I have found I have had to do. Everything seems to have side effects.

Nancy we paid 12 dollars for packing for 2 hours. The parking is unreal as is the driving round and round.

I did not ask enough questions but I will get a copy of the report from my doctor.

We went to find out about the heart monitor and the clinic was packed with a sad bunch of people. We phoned after we got the number and go for it on the 25. I had this years ago when I was short of breath.

Tired today.

You will be happy to get your car Nancy.

Take care.

Love mom

Sandra said...

Had a seminar today over by Guildford and I walked there and back. Funny thing is, Randy was off work today and he was up when I left. I kissed him good bye and told him I was walking to my seminar. He left the house shortly after me. Then around 2:00 I get a text from him asking me where I am because my car is here but he can not find me. He never listens to me!

Sandra

larry bennett said...

Mom keeps telling me that - but I dont think she actually tells me anything!!

Client Strengths said...

I will do very well with "older" age because I have these kinds of experiences all the time, not be able to figure out getting into someplace, finding parking, forgetting questions, husbands who don't hear me etc...

beth bennett said...

What great comments. Love you all!

Love mom

nancy-Lou said...

The funny thing is: all the thing that Carol mentioned happen to me too! Especially husbands who don't hear me..hahaha! It is just a natural part of aging and Beth, I think you are too hard on yourself. I think it was up to that doctor to ask you the correct questions, the onus was on him. Hopefully, he did!

You so very well to do the things you do with the health problems you have Beth! Just relax and "go with the flow"....everything seems to work out in the end!

Sending hugs and love,

Nancy