Wednesday, September 20, 2017

SOUL

Ant illusion that summer is still here has gone.  The first day of fall feels like fall.
Time for warmer clothes.

Haiti comes in the morning while I am at the store to pick up a prescription.  There was a mix up with the eye prescription and fortunately dad has enough for to-night.

Sandra dropped in before and after her dentist's appointment.  Evidently it was painful even with freezing.  She walked Haiti with me and gave me a break from cleaning out junk drawers.  Maybe other people have just one but we have lots.  Dad and I do not always agree on what is junk and what we should save just in case we may need it.

I am not doing well in reading my mystery books as I stop about three quarters of the way through.

I will do a little spiritual reading.

The belief in the soul is the very heart of religion.

"Neuroscience  shows  that the belief of whether we have a soul is essential to our well being.
 So where is the soul and what use is it.?
Are we born with it? 

Our brains and our minds need both the heart and the soul to connect to others.

Yes we are born with a soul but it can lie dormant until it is stimulated through experience.

I cannot believe that I am such a poor walker now.

Dad cannot believe riding his bike was not as easy as it used to be.

To-morrow we will visit an elderly man in a home in White Rock.
I know that loneliness can be extremely painful so I am sure we will cheer him up.
It will be good for us too.

To the Greeks the soul is the breath of life or as Newton said it is the life force which enables us to have a relationship with that which is beyond itself.

Thomas Moore describes it "as the paradoxical Mystery that blends light and darkness into the grandeur of what human life can be."

I think it is where our inner courage and strength comes from!

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I think we are born with a soul, yes. It is our life experiences mixed with our predispositions that then twist it, shape and mold it into the person we ultimately become.

I suppose some of us are becoming for a very long time, and maybe there is hope for change for the better right up to the end. Though I doubt it.

Randy's dad called me saying they are going to put him in a nursing home. He does not know when or where so it is a little unnerving. We might call one day and his phone will be disconnected and we will not know where he is gone to.

Randy will probable fly out to help him if there is enough notice and he gets a scheduled move in date. I hope he is happier there and not so lonely. I think not having Mary with him there every day and not having a purpose has been very hard on him.

Sandra

nancy-Lou said...

oh isn't that sad to hear about Randy's Dad. That happens so often when people have been married for a long time. They have a difficult time living alone. Poor fellow. I guess he has health problems too if he is going into a nursing home. too bad he couldn't go to an assisted living facility.

I am sorry to hear that Larry is having a harder time riding his bike...I think it will come back to him with a little practice! Sorry to hear that you are having troubles with walking Beth. this getting old isn't for the faint of heart is it?

We are having cool fall like weather too. I put away the summer clothes and washed and hung up the fall/ winter clothes. Kind of a sad time in a way! it seems like we wear the fall winter clothes a lot longer here than the summer ones. We have had the heat on a few times too. Just in the rooms we need it, like the bathroom.

Tomorrow we have to go into Selkirk to get some pull ups for Carl....he never tells me when he needs them so we have to make a special trip in. I will stop in at a farm on the way home and buy a large bag of potatoes and carrots, stock up for the winter.

That is so nice to hear that Haiti is coming to visit more often now. Dogs are great company and good to go for a walk with.

I made 4 dozen peanut butter cookies today...with nuts too. They are Bella`s favourite as well as Carl`s and they like to sneak them when i am not looking!

I also worked outside with Greg digging out the trench along the house and pulling off siding so we can put the new treated plywood where the rot was. There was a hole right through into the crawl space that had rotted where the water pipe came out of the house. Where we attached the hose. The downspout is there too so there was a lot of water there at times. We are done and await the delivery of the treated plywood tomorrow and then it will be fixed on Saturday.
Greg is the fellow I taught how to drive when he was 54. It was kind of neat today, because I asked him to drive me to the store,....sitting in the passenger`s seat with him driving! He is a good driver! he is illiterate and no one took the time to help him learn how to drive and to learn the driver`s handbook. I tried really hard to teach him how to read, but found out he has a severe case of dyslexia. But i taught him his cell phone and how to bank. So he is good now!

I hope you have a lovely evening! I am going to bed early to read my book...it is getting awfully good and it is mystery. not much better than curling up with a good book1

Love Nancy