Monday, June 1, 2009

FREE WILL WHAT'S THE PROBLEM


I DO NOT KNOW WHY DAD HAS SUCH A PROBLEM WITH FREE WILL.
There are many things in a free country that allows us to make choices. I believe that that was the way we were created to be free to make choices.
In a cruel and injustice world we know there is great inequality and unfairness. I can see that trying to love and be loving can be difficult even though the message of Jesus was to love one another even your neighbor.

We have had some difficult neighbors. I could tolerate the constant barking of the dog next door, right beside us, if his owners were friendly.
I suggested getting to know the dog and even feeding it dog bones but was told no way. I try my best just to ignore it all.
Some quotes from our study
"Belief in free will is the bedrock of religion" "When someone with a gun asks us to lift our hands, our free will is limited. Biology and family are destiny.
"A materialist thinker assumes there is no such thing as free will. Free will is the capacity that permits human beings to foster goodness and inflict pain. Without choice there is no growth, just an endless repetition of obeyed, if unconscious, commands. A world without free will is a world of puppets or robots, not human beings.
Regimes of systematic cruelity use free will to strip others of their free will. At best a ambiguous gift. Part of trying to understand, suffering, disease, natural disasters is to understand what role suffering might play in the way human souls grow. Achieving goodness in the world as a demonstration of soul grow is a crucial aim of all serious religous traditions."
We are slow learners and creatures of habit and most of us have some things about ourselves we would like to change. The spirit of God can be very helpful if we allow this presence the freedom to work within us.
We can never understand why some of us have been blessed to live in a free country nor why some of us suffer more difficulties and have less abilities and are tempted to make poor choices.
My favorite quote was "During moments when there are cracks in our complacency, prayer has room to slip in." Prayer allows healing in the midst of failing health as we receive emotional and spiritual healing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Mom, just to let you know I am back, safe and sound and did a quick read of last weeks blog so I think I am up to date. Looks like it will be a beautiful week and I will plan on coming over this weekend for a little gardening. Shawna said she was very impressed to see me in action, and that my passion for gardening was obviouse. Stephen on the other hand could not believe how I could leave little piles of dirt all over his house, where ever I stood still for a moment.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

That is just what dad is complaining about. Only it is also the dirt on the front porch. mom

Anonymous said...

I guess they have free will to clean up the dirt !! Or free will to do the gardening !!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Barking dogs are irritating, I agree.

Love,

Rick