Monday, October 4, 2010

CHANGING

So many things seem to be changing; we went to look for a pumpkin patch today and the usual ones were not there anymore.  So many fields are now covered with glass green houses where things are grown hydroponically.  The rich soil is now no longer being used.  It was a cold and windy day as we drove up and down with no success.  Finally on the road home just past the old community hall we found this small patch.  The pumpkins are not very big and it is a very tiny field.  I got out of the car to walk into the yard to take a picture when the owners came home.  I quickly explained I was taking pictures and got two strange looks.

Our old street has also changed losing its quaint charm and now huge houses are replacing modest homes of all different sizes and character.  Our home looks very run down and unhappy and that is very sad to see.

As I start my study of the Bible I know that the stories will reflect all the same problems we have  in our world today.  Fighting and arguing about what is right, jealousy and bitterness destroying families, sickness, poverty, injustice, selfishness and cruelty to name a few.  Centuries have passed and we realize that some of their values and codes are alien to us.  They were wanders who set out to conquer and wanted a strong powerful God on their side.

The history of Christianity that was bloody, violent and revengeful leaves all of us with a bad taste in our months.  We want to reject religion with it's hatred and prejudice and controversies.

I believe that Christianity based on the words of Jesus has the power to transform my life and the lives of others in a chaotic world.  I live in hope and expectation knowing that there are many good things happening and that they will continue to happen.
 
The church has been in danger before from the society around it and the same is true today although it is in danger from apathy more than anything else.Disasters can make us stop and realize that in life and in death faith makes the difference.  Would I write this if it was my last day on earth or would there be other things I would think are more worth while doing. 

We had planned to visit a friend and take over some spray that has helped dad with his eyes but that did not happen.  So our plans changed and it was good to be home in our own little cozy T.V. room.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not yet grabbed a pumpkin. If you see any at a store can you let me know, I dont think there will be many around this year. What house did you drive by? And the weather was not as nice yesterday as they had promised. Cleared up by the time I went home, but put the heat on as the house was chilly.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Found the pumpkin patch on the road home past the community center where Theresa and Milie were married. The shortcut to 64.

It was very chilly yesterday. We went looking for ducks too but they were not there but found them further along so no pictures.
love mom
plan to visit Shirley today

larry bennett said...

Our house on pana ridge - it looks like a sad dittle home - waiting to be demolished.

larry bennett said...

It sure makes me sad to see the beautifull fields of delta being covered with glass. When they go out of vogue one day there will be a devastated landscape for years = unfortunatelly believe it or not they first scrape of the good topsoil off before they build those glass monsters! Leaving nothing to reclaim.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to drive by the house on Panorama ridge the next time I'm down that way. I always really liked that house. Considered it like a "tree-house" because when you were on the back balcony you could almost reach out and touch the mid-section of 100 foot high tree! Lots of light, too.

Love,

Rick